Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Saturday, April 23, 2005

Sated

It may have been a hard choice to pick a show tonight, and I don't think I could have chosen better. I'm going to write to people, it is not a show to be missed. There were six scenes, some had story, some had humor, some had truth, and all were engaging and had deep beauty. If you like movement pieces this is for you, if they have left you unsatisfied or bemused in the past it is for you too. Like the work Akropolis does, it is a journey of wonder for the audience, not a narrative. In this show you recognize human situations, relationship turning points, pain, joy, and of course wonder. I can't tell you what the story was, I simply left the show feeling privileged to have been there.

I'd seen pieces of the show before in development when I worked on other shows in the Studio Series, and that added to the experience. These are eminent professionals, and having seen a little of the process of these established artists was terrific. I have had several classes with George, movement and mask, as well as chatted and worked on props or set pieces here and there, I'd consider him a casual friend. Having someone who is a friend in a show always adds something for me. Also, there were a handful of people I knew in the audience. Bryan who was in my Meisner class, and his girlfriend Brenna, Susan who is the BookPal coordinator, Emma from the Singing and Alexander class I started, and some other folks. I didn't expect to see people I knew, so the socializing was a bonus. It really is a theatre community, and I adore being a part of it.

A great night. Art and friends. What else do you need?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home