Help Wanted
I've been rethinking my theatre idea. More the startup process than the concept. I contacted TPS, to find out about the non-profit umbrella status for member companies, and it was trial think last year, and they haven't decided if they are going to do it again. I was hoping to get in that program, making it easier to find a donated space. Looks like that is out. Even if they revive the program, it is now demonstrated it is not something which can be relied on. Funny, I was so excited about the service I was planning on a decent donation for TPS. Turns out I'll be needing that for my own stuff. No hard feelings or anything silly like that, I still plan on donating to TPS, but likely not for another year or two when I have either given up or have an east side thing going.
So, drop it (not), or figure out a way to establish non-profit status on my own. Just the sort of thing I hate doing. I'd been hoping to find a venue using the non-profit status as a selling point, allowing the landlord a write-off. Maybe someone will be willing without the write-off, but that will not be my starting off point now. I'll be writing to some actors I know that live on the east side, in particular two of my classmates from Meisner last year, and two other great actors I know taking the class this year who also live on the east side. I'll also need to contact some directors. Hopefully with them and other accomplished actors/directors they know we'll have a starting point.
I had initially thought to find a venue, get a couple production organizations going, one for community theatre, and one for fringe. Also an outreach program for both prospective local theatre audiences and theatre professionals on the Seattle side of the lake, providing a low cost venue for some established fringe companies over here. Of these, the most important to me is the fringe theatre.
That means I need to learn the basics of establishing a non-profit so I don't hopelessly screw things up. While I'm doing that I've got to ask the people I know on the East Side if they are interested. I'm thinking to start I'll want to simply find people who want to do a show, rehearse wherever is available, and beg a venue for a run. Probably have to pay, but I've a few contacts so maybe a good deal is possible. This would be something more for the actors and director to create art and build an ensemble. In the next week or two I'll renew with TPS, this time as a producing member. I've a couple east side readers of this blog I'll be approaching. If you want to beat me to the punch, and pick up one of the individual memberships let me know. It'll be free. Worst case you have a free TPS membership for a year, best case we get something meaningful started.
So, drop it (not), or figure out a way to establish non-profit status on my own. Just the sort of thing I hate doing. I'd been hoping to find a venue using the non-profit status as a selling point, allowing the landlord a write-off. Maybe someone will be willing without the write-off, but that will not be my starting off point now. I'll be writing to some actors I know that live on the east side, in particular two of my classmates from Meisner last year, and two other great actors I know taking the class this year who also live on the east side. I'll also need to contact some directors. Hopefully with them and other accomplished actors/directors they know we'll have a starting point.
I had initially thought to find a venue, get a couple production organizations going, one for community theatre, and one for fringe. Also an outreach program for both prospective local theatre audiences and theatre professionals on the Seattle side of the lake, providing a low cost venue for some established fringe companies over here. Of these, the most important to me is the fringe theatre.
That means I need to learn the basics of establishing a non-profit so I don't hopelessly screw things up. While I'm doing that I've got to ask the people I know on the East Side if they are interested. I'm thinking to start I'll want to simply find people who want to do a show, rehearse wherever is available, and beg a venue for a run. Probably have to pay, but I've a few contacts so maybe a good deal is possible. This would be something more for the actors and director to create art and build an ensemble. In the next week or two I'll renew with TPS, this time as a producing member. I've a couple east side readers of this blog I'll be approaching. If you want to beat me to the punch, and pick up one of the individual memberships let me know. It'll be free. Worst case you have a free TPS membership for a year, best case we get something meaningful started.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home