Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, February 17, 2005

Going Places

It was snowing very heavily when I drove to A.G. Bell Elementary School Monday morning. The kids excitement for the snow evoked memories and a little excitement in me. Fun, as snow doesn't generally shake my world now. I brought a couple things along with the books I read this morning, which were Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type and Giggle, Giggle, Quack, both written by Doreen Cronin and illustrated by Betsy Lewin.

I brought in my electric typewriter, which I haven't used in nearly fifteen years. I have a lightweight manual typewriter, but I couldn't find the darn thing. About half the kids had never seen a typewriter, but most knew they were replaced by the computer. I briefly described typesetting, and how typewriters made much of that obsolete. Both books had bits which were great for a chorus, so I printed sheets with a very large font that said things like:
Click, clack, moo.
Click, clack, moo.
Clickety, clack, moo.

Giggle, giggle, quack,
Giggle, moo,
Giggle, oink.


I had the papers folded in the book, and with a little set up we read them together, and I made the appropriate animal sounds, getting many of the kids into the act. I was worried they would think the books were for 'little kids'. I started off asking them if they liked to be silly, and they said they did. I said I did too, so we had a nice silly time. Next Monday is a school holiday and I miss them already.

My last audition fell through, but I've another scheduled for this Sunday for a late night show. We'll see how that goes. I am really antsy to get started on something. I'm going to have to broaden my search. Before I decided to pound the pavement, so to speak, the frequent notices from my favored sources seem to have hit a famine.

Tomorrow is another prop night at work, and again I signed up for the first shift, 10PM to 6AM. I may well be writing some incoherent entries in the wee hours tomorrow. Tonight I'm going to the Capitol Hill Arts Center to see Waiting For Lefty. I know at least one of the cast members, since he E-mailed me. Very few theatre sites list the cast and crew for shows. This bugs me just a little, as that is a major criteria for my show selection.

Darn it, I won't do the same thing. I just initiated my TPS application for "East Side Fringe." Maybe the name will change when I lure other people in. I'll be composing a number of E-mails tomorrow, assuming I don't have any issues to address. (My group is pretty sharp, so I feel pretty safe.) My friend Beth sent me some information about 501(c)(3) exemptions; she's a CPA so she's smart about that stuff, whereas I most certainly am not. Yet. She suggested I ask people why they chose 501(c)(3) status, as there are other non-profit possibilities. Anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home