Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, January 03, 2005

Ups And Downs

I haven't been on the internet since my last entry. Hadn't planned on the break, was just happily busy. Just ate lunch and caught up on about half the blogs I read regularly. (Yes Kipley, I'll send you my resolutions. My first is to make some, figuring out my meaningful goals...)

A very strange year it has been for me. Personally it has been a year of tremendous spiritual and artistic growth. Globally it has felt like my country is standing on the street outside Armageddon's window hollering, "What the fuck are you going to do about it pussy!" I pray Mr. Armageddon is busy elsewhere.

The tsunami tragedy is a case in point for the rage and shame my country engenders in me, a decorated combat veteran. When I first heard about it, I thought we should pledge in the neighborhood of $100 Billion over the long term, much less than we are spending to punish the Iraqi population. The initial pledge was $35 Million, about 1/3000th of what I thought appropriate. I can't help but feel the viciously meager offer was intended to make the stingy offer of $350 Million look good. Now the neo-cowards can say, "We gave ten times as much as we should have!" Even so, will we ever make good on the promise?

My commute to Paula and Steve's for New Year's Eve was a case in point for the wonder in my life. I was wondering how many of our other mutual friends would be there as I rode over. I realized how rich and numerous my friendships are, mostly as a result of discovering the inner artist. I remembered when Paula and I started working on Marlboro Man over 2 and half years ago. A couple months into the process the three of us worked together on brochures and posters. Paula kept telling me how much Steve liked me. It was obvious she wanted us to get along, and I was terribly flattered. Anyway, I don't see how anyone could not like Steve. Remembering how we met, and have been very close friends ever since reminded me of all which is worth remembering in this life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home