Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Saturday, January 22, 2005

Making Up

Last night after work I glued, clamped, and nailed together the frame for a table top. I have two right angle clamps, and had already clamped and glued for the first round. So, I was putting the two 'L' shaped pieces together to form a rectangular frame, into which the thin oak plywood would go to create the table top.

Shortly after my brief task in my makeshift woodshop night my friend Beth came over. We had take and bake pizzas for dinner, and watched Shrek 2. A very enjoyable evening and show.

I'm at the point were I glue and nail just a few pieces and wait for it to dry, then do a few more. Tomorrow I should be able to make more significant progress as I expect to be able to putty, sand, attach the legs, and stain it. Probably won't be able to start applying the finish until Monday after rehearsal, though it would be nice to get the first coat of varnish applied so I won't worry about people getting stain on them.

Slept in a little today, got a little more woodworking done, gluing and nailing the plywood into the frame. Not as perfect a fit as I'd like, but I figured out a couple tricks for the future which will make the fit much more nearly perfect. I know the work is better than is needed for a set piece, but the craftsman/artist in me wants to do it a lot better. Still, once it is puttied, stained, and varnished it should look pretty damn good. Then I'll see if my plan to make an attractive dark woodgrain finished table with fairly thin legs plays out. I'm still hoping it will diminish the tallness of the table.

I'm in the office today, Saturday. Not so bad as it sounds. I wasn't feeling especially great this week, and let myself get extra sleep. Paid off, I feel great today. Got into work feeling chipper and productive before even arriving. My work projects are like the set building at the moment. Start a process then wait a long time. While I was waiting I saw an audition call for a male actor by Burien Live Theatre for Other People's Money. It is the third call I've seen, so I responded with my schedule restrictions. I suspect the big conflict will be the Studio Series piece I am working on, so I don't expect to hear back. I need to get back on the boards, and figure it is best to get a habit started. Acting charges me up for study and working in various crew and production capacities. I like working as td and set designer/fabricator, but if I don't do some acting it quickly loses its thrill.

Now it is time to go watch the Freehold Studio Series, Week 2. I can't remember who I know that is in it this week, but I am looking forward to seeing them and the show. I was very impressed last week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home