Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, January 20, 2005

Clean Spleen

Louise who wrote and is playing one of the roles in the Studio Series piece we are working on, and I saw a fun show last night at the Bathhouse, Quilters. Heather who is the other actor in the show we are working on for the Studio Series was in Quilters. She was the only one over twenty, and I believe a mentor. The rest were 16 to 20 years old. Every once in a while their lack of life experience showed, but not very often and only for a moment. I was impressed with this group of kids.

They had good stage presence, such that you soon forgot how very young they were until the show was over. I remember one girl who impressed me in particular and came out wearing fuzzy boots, cutoffs with a tube top above the midriff. It was quite funny, the transformation from lovely young woman to cute little kid. It also spoke loads for the work they put into the show and their training. I experienced the same thing several years ago when my father played the Friar in Romeo And Juliet at the Bremerton Community Theatre. The girl playing Juliet was tremendous, and after the show was another cute kid wearing clothes which to my older eyes were silly in that young, fun, and free-spirited way. When an actor of any age can break down those walls which result from differing world views they have done some very nice work.

I love Seattle drizzle. It's in the 50's, so it is not too cold and the rain is in small drops, close together. I didn't much care for it when I was working as a carpenter in college, framing houses and such. Now, I have a walk of fifty yards or so to the building where the cafeteria resides. Unlike others who go down to the garage to skip the wet, or use one of the lobby umbrellas I walk right on out, usually in my short sleeves. It is refreshing and cleansing, and just plain feels good. A short respite from the arid, processed air in the office.

I called my brother earlier today, when I saw a brand new turkey cooker for sale by a co-worker for $35. A while back he told me how great deep fried turkeys were, so I gave him a ring. It just sounds a bit too unhealthy to me, though he swore the meat was less greasy. Don't know that I believe it, but my favorite is the dressing, and somehow I think that would be greasier.

Talking to Eric reminded me of his recent birthday and my trip to the sex shop for his wrapping paper. I was reminded of Japan when I was there. The store was run by two friendly and attractive women. There was a news article during one of my deployments to Japan in the late 80's or 1990. To western folks it was very funny, or at least it was to me. That month had marked the first time less than 50% of condom sales were made by door to door sales people. There was some speculation it was even harder for men to buy them in Japan than in other countries, though more for pride (I don't really understand) than embarrassment. The big reason door to door sales were so successful, is the vast majority of the sales folks were women, who put men at ease with courtesy and flattery. I'll let you speculate on the flattery, as your imagination will have much more fun that way.

Venting my spleen on my last blog entry the other day did wonders for my attitude, and provided a few surprises. My ire is not entirely gone, and I couldn't miss Bush's world class irony and dysfunction in today's headline, "Bush Begins New Term, Vows to End Tyranny." I bet the poor bastards in Gitmo and similar situations are quite pleased to hear it.

The surprises were the nice comment from Ric and my friend Richard's link to it in his blog. I was feeling poisonous, and even after writing my rant I thought about deleting it. About the same number of keystrokes, so no difference in physical effort. Still, there would have been a feeling of holding it in had I done that. Threw caution to the wind, and posted. It was selfish, it felt good, and I got positive feedback. That gives me a guilty pleasure. I could not tell you what the guilt comes from, but it is delicious just the same.

I disable cookies on most my browsers, after finding out first hand how they are used. When you run spell check for blogspot it uses cookies, so I get the same words even though I try to add them. The one which amuses me every time is 'blog', and now 'blogspot'. You'd think those would be in the Blogspot dictionary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home