Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Warming Up

Getting ready for work this morning and recollecting the great experience I had in class last night I came to a realization I take things for granted. An interesting look at myself in which I found both positive and negative aspects. I was in a Dinner Mystery with Exchange Theatre on Saturday. It was a package which was purchased by some wonderful patrons at the annual Gala fundraising auction. They even gave each of the actors a bottle of wine.

In nearly every class I take we spend time in front of the class with an exercise, sometimes in small groups, more often by ourselves or with one other person. So in addition to the murder mystery, I recently worked in a show, took a weekly improv workshop, and am finishing up a the first quarter of a twice weekly Mask Progression.

I spend a lot of time in various situations and venues on a real or virtual stage. It is a gift to be able to do that, and for someone who had massive stage fright most of his life it is an even bigger gift to be at a point where being in front of people is something taken for granted rather than feared. I still have to deal with nerves on occasion, but I learned to embrace those butterflies as a source of energy.

The negative is more of an awareness, that the work itself is not something to take for granted. I have learned as an artist you are never finished with your growth and learning. Without the movement of growth you are stagnant, which is foul for you and your audience.

Each audience is a unique and transient being, even if it is the same people on another day. Each audience deserves all your respect and honor. I find it irritating when cast or crew complain about a 'bad' or 'dead' audience. The biggest reason may be I am thinking the same thing, and I don't want to get the thought stuck in my head. If an audience is quiet it may be they need the quiet, or it may be you're disappointing them. In either case you owe them your best. Don't get caught up in recalling work you did and sacrifices you made to put up the show. Each member of the audience made the effort to be in that seat. That is their reality and you damn well better honor it.

In case you asked, "What was his great experience last night?" We worked with our animals for the last time before moving from Neutral Mask to Larval Mask, bringing our animals into the human. I volunteered to go first which I tend to do. I like observing other people without having the "When should I go?" dialog running through my head. It is interesting that as we worked we all understood what was meant by "Add a drop more animal." or "Add two more drops human."

The down side of going first can be missing out on some things as the exercise warms up. Generally that is made up for by the tendency of giving more time to the early birds. This time they started adding suggestions for the subsequent exercises. The falcon who had fast sharp movements, was told to imagine a cigarette in one hand, expensive clothes, furry lingerie, etc. The resulting snooty woman was engaging and hysterical as were all the suggestions. Our instructors have a knack for comedy, so that is where suggestions tended to go.

I didn't miss the fun suggestions after all, and ended up with the funnest, because the suggestion was not shared with the class until afterwards. George took me behind the screen after every one else was done and told me to imagine I was wearing leather chaps. Easy enough, I used them for riding gear for years. Then he added, "That's it. Your butt cheeks are visible and you're proud. Subtle, but proud. You're in the Gay Pride Parade and you know you've the nicest butt." Okay, all these additions were new ideas.

I almost lost it when I came out from behind the screen. The class was roaring with laughter, and I nearly dropped out of my animal/human. I like making people laugh, but I've never used physicality. It was an experiential epiphany for me. What people guessed I was doing was startlingly close to what I was imagining. We hear over and over, you don't have to 'show' people what you are trying to do, simply let them see it. It makes perfect sense to me, but this proved the concept to me on a very visceral level. Of course, there is some work involved in letting yourself go someplace.

And to think I was feeling yucky before I left the office last night. I felt chilled to the core, and the idea of riding the motorcycle to class was not appealing at all. I wanted nothing more than to crawl into some nice warm sheets and go to sleep. Well, by the end of class I felt pretty good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home