Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Demanding Times

I have class tonight. First time in a while I'll have made both classes of the week. I'm a little tired, but starting to figure out what I want to work on next. I am still gnawing over the theatre idea. My first step is the imagination phase. Imagine what I would want to do with it. Several ideas, one being provide a venue for fringe companies from Seattle to put up a show and generate interest on the east side. My hope is to establish a modest venue that increases interest for audiences and performers on the east side.

East King County has a reputation for having plebeian tastes. Given the highly developed materialistic and stingy nature of the area it is easy to understand. On the other hand I think there are very talented and creative people desperate for outlets, who are intimidated by the commute into Seattle, plus the feeling of being an outsider. The trick will be to attract talented people for local productions, and attracting worthwhile productions from the other side of Lake Washington.

Building a viable production venue/company with a good reputation is a challenge, especially when I want to bring in edgy and experimental work. A big reason for starting small in an area that has only been friendly to comedy and musical theatre. I feel compelled to have a few goals like this.

It seems everyday I read something new and disgusting being done in my name. Today, it was torture at Guantanamo Bay, and conservatives once again complaining it is all a liberal media conspiracy. The cowardice of our leaders makes me sad and ashamed. Without some valid socially driven goals I fight with the my belief that paying taxes to our corrupt and evil government is immoral. Unlike Henry David Thoreau I don't plan to go to jail in to oppose an immoral government. I'd rather move to another country. First, I'll try some other measures.

Some research and writing for my piece about Harvey Matusow is a good place to start. The theatre idea as well. My first steps for that are to continue with the imagination and formulation phase. Maybe another week or two. Then writing it down and contacting TPS (Theatre Puget Sound) for guidance for things like insurance, fire codes, and other stuff I'm not likely to think of. Approaching real estate agents, particularly property managers, asking for a space that can be used as a write off is the second step, and will probably start with getting referrals from agents I know. It doesn't make sense to separate these tasks. To start both will be fairly easy, gathering information and nagging people. If something comes up, then the work will begin in earnest.

I have always resisted being pressured by people, and now I am pressuring myself. I can't tolerate the status quo, and to do nothing is intolerable. It might be easier in the short run, but I feel if I do nothing something vital and beautiful deep within my being will shrivel and die.

On the lighter side a couple fun links I have received lately. The first is a silly little game. The second a little bit of film editing which had me grinning like the idiot.

http://www.warrenkinsella.com/buildabetterbush.htm


http://www.dubyamovie.com/large.html


Spread wings soar away
Tasting life gritty sweaty
Pricking bubbles -- free

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home