Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, December 10, 2004

The Neo-Red Menace

In the opening days of the War on Iraq it was realized Humvee's were ridiculously vulnerable. Over a year later Rumsfeld gets called on it. It was long overdue and he has gotten off amazingly easy. As we heard today the question asked by the soldier was suggested by a reporter. Why? Because Rummie keeps himself too well-insulated from the press and meaningful questions.

On the Google news page was the following link. http://www.nationalreview.com/editorial/editors200412100958.asp I read it, and was amazed. No where did they deny the claim about the Humvees. He just talked about how unfair it was for the mythical liberal press to sandbag Rumsfeld and unreasonably give weight to his response. This man is so enamored of his conservative dogma he can't see the emperor's dick swinging in the wind.

We do not have a liberal press. If we did how do you explain the publicity the Swift Boat jokers got, the lack of publicity regarding their lies, the feeding frenzy when Rather was duped, the complete dropping of questions regarding cooked and missing service records for w. He whines about a non-existent dragon, but skirts around the fact Rumsfeld said, "You go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you might want, or wish to have, at a later time." What did this guy expect people to report on. Maybe something Ralph Nader said in the 1960's?

I'd like to see the media repeat administration statements from 2003. Remember these gems? We will finish the war by the end of Summer. We are well-equipped, well-manned, and prepared for all contingencies. We know where the WMD's are and we'll find them quickly. Etc. I suppose our media is much too liberal to report on that.

The right has an itinerary I don't understand. I've leaned towards liberal and conservative positions on different issues at different times. When the real world informs me, I try to adjust my stance in a sensible way. However with the right, neither facts or the safety of our troops are not about to get in the way. They live to claim they have won a meaningless debate rather than to actually think about what they are doing.

Thus the right's dogma takes precedence over integrity, intellect, ethics, morality, and certainly over the safety of the troops they disingenuously claim to support. Tax breaks for the wealthy, rolling back of equal opportunity, unfettered domestic surveillance, reducing corporate accountability, nullifying civil and personal liberties, and encouraging fear and timidity in the population appear to be their only actual goals and contributions.

I was miffed to find that bit of cowardly yellow journalism on the Google News site, but mollified when this showed up a few hours later. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/weblogs/luna/archives/000980.html

We now call liberals blue, and conservatives red. Of all the deceptions and methods which have been recycled from McCarthyism, it seems the only one which has become valid with time was forgotten. The very foundations of our society really are under assault by a Red Menace, now that we have created one which really exists.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home