Life Expectancies
Kate and I had a nice conversation one the way to Seatac this morning. At one point I was going on about how I like my job, but I don't feel driven or especially jazzed. After everything is said and done, it is not very important in the big scheme. It is important to travelers and shareholders, but those aren't really important people. As customers they are important to me and my ethics, so I strive to provide the best service I can. Shareholders? Well, I wouldn't let them kiss somebody else's ass. I find it dysfunctional shareholders are considered more important than either customers or employees, and they are out to screw both the customer and employees so they can squeeze out a bit more blood.
I postulated that in 75 or 100 years the average person will know more of Degas or Moliere than of Hitler. By then nobody will have personal experience or will have known someone that remembers WWII or any of it's participants first hand. Hitler will be words in a dry text book. Degas' art will still be vibrant and alive, as will Moliere's words on stage. After a bit she said, "You know, you're right." Artists live longer. Statesmen aren't remembered as well or as long, and shareholders? How many captains of industry can the average person think of from Shakespeare's time? I couldn't tell you who the rulers were though I'd recognize their names, and even in high school I would recognize Ben Johnson's name. So all these thoughts about shareholders, statesmen, artists, and such are running through my mind when I asked about Degas vs. Hitler. We remember the evil, but it seems beauty outlasts it.
I told Kate how I wrote up my evaluation last Saturday, and I just didn't get very excited about it. While I like it here I don't see myself at Expedia in ten years, which makes the whole evaluation process seem a bit pedestrian. On the other hand I have felt driven by some of my theatre projects, and incredibly jazzed. I want to be a better actor, carpenter, and writer. Kate said, "It sounds like sanity." Interesting thing to come down with at this point in my life.
I postulated that in 75 or 100 years the average person will know more of Degas or Moliere than of Hitler. By then nobody will have personal experience or will have known someone that remembers WWII or any of it's participants first hand. Hitler will be words in a dry text book. Degas' art will still be vibrant and alive, as will Moliere's words on stage. After a bit she said, "You know, you're right." Artists live longer. Statesmen aren't remembered as well or as long, and shareholders? How many captains of industry can the average person think of from Shakespeare's time? I couldn't tell you who the rulers were though I'd recognize their names, and even in high school I would recognize Ben Johnson's name. So all these thoughts about shareholders, statesmen, artists, and such are running through my mind when I asked about Degas vs. Hitler. We remember the evil, but it seems beauty outlasts it.
I told Kate how I wrote up my evaluation last Saturday, and I just didn't get very excited about it. While I like it here I don't see myself at Expedia in ten years, which makes the whole evaluation process seem a bit pedestrian. On the other hand I have felt driven by some of my theatre projects, and incredibly jazzed. I want to be a better actor, carpenter, and writer. Kate said, "It sounds like sanity." Interesting thing to come down with at this point in my life.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home