Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, December 23, 2004

Give It Up

I find it interesting. The poem I wrote castigating the typical conservative attitude I've experienced as a combat veteran was sent to hundreds of people, even though only my sis commented. Three or four friends and my sister asked permission to send it on to others. Susan sent it to the mail list for BookPals in this region.

I stand by my comment at the end. I don't know much about poetry, so my structure is pretty simple and probably askew by many accepted measures. Like most of my verse it was written quickly to distill my thoughts, like the following as I debate what to do this weekend.

WalMart Wailing

Ebenezer wearing many guises
Visits each year upon many stages
Enjoyed by those of all sorts and sizes
Denying they appear on those pages.

Shopping stores which imprison old Cratchit
Out of sight, out of mind, your hands are clean
Craven discounts, free men can not match it
Only slaves, dying old while still a teen.

WalkMan, XBox, some Malibu Barbies
Lone Ranger, Pokemon, Pop Tarts, Twinkies,
Elmo, Nemo. Fads which will cease to be
Before reaching ten, counting your pinkies.

Toys, toys, lots of toys. Pain, pain, lots of pain.
It's not real, it's not near, you'll never hear.
Link by link forging it, unseen chain,
For you, the modern day Ebenezer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home