Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Do You Really Support the Military?

I sent the following to my US Senators and Congressman. I deleted a short note I included which was geographically specific.
I am sending this to all congressional members in my district.

I would strongly support legislation removing deferments and exemptions from the draft.

Reasons:
1) Traditionally college has been used to avoid or postpone service. This is elitism. Minorities and low income families pay the price.

2) Same with national guard type service. The only exemption here should be for those who have already been called up for active duty.

3) We would be a lot more likely to be responsible in our choice to wage war if everybody's children had an equal chance of being drafted.

4) It would bring up a debate on the fairness of the draft before we are forced to reinstate it, at which point the elitism would be impossible to address.
I would love to see this become an issue. Force the people who support the war, to face a real possibility of having their children sent. I believe there is a real trend, in which those who can afford to keep their children safe from the draft are much more likely to support this war. Use the websites to find and write to your elected representatives. If you think it is worthwhile, copy and send to your friends.
http://www.senate.gov/
http://www.house.gov/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rhetorical question: Why is it that conservatives (rightly, in my opinion) point out that you can't just throw money at every problem in order to fix it, but when it comes to the military, then they roll over and act like piggy banks for the generals and the corporations that support them and stroke their bloated egos?

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home