Different Faces
Met up with Rachel for dinner Tuesday night. Always fun and interesting, and this time Rachel initiated a conversation on the difference between our in-person and blog personas. I read several blogs by people I know personally on a regular basis and I've noticed persona differences between the blogs and in-person encounters. It didn't occur to me I was different too. Oh, but I am. A lot different it turns out.
I suggested maybe it is like different facets on a gemstone. You're seeing the same essential object from a different angle. I read the blog of someone I know and there is a recognition of the person as well as new discovery.
Rachel also complimented my blog titles. I do have fun with that. Can I keep it up now I'm thinking about it?
I use my blog as a personal journal. There are some filters on what I say to avoid breaking confidences or being hurtful to people , but for the most part I am not thinking of readers or trying to find more readers. I tend to develop my ideas and thoughts, and have found it is a wonderful tool.
For example, I am livid about our leadership to the point where I feel passively paying my taxes is an immoral act. Moving out of the country is a real and viable option for me, though not my first choice. I'd been thinking about starting a theatre down the road, then read Kipley's recounting of the space he found and starting the long task of building it into a theatre.
So I worked out a non-passive response to what I see as the psychotically dysfunctional path my country is going down. Well done fringe theatre does not beat people over the head, but gets them to think. Big equity theatres can do this to, but they tend to be a little less challenging to the audience and are less accessible to most people. The beauty of fringe can be that building a subscriber base does not have to be the primary goal. Getting a few people to think openly, instead of going along with the herd is a worthwhile and reasonable aim.
Writing down my thoughts and anger in a journal helped me focus. I may not find a space for a theatre, but I won't be passive.
I suggested maybe it is like different facets on a gemstone. You're seeing the same essential object from a different angle. I read the blog of someone I know and there is a recognition of the person as well as new discovery.
Rachel also complimented my blog titles. I do have fun with that. Can I keep it up now I'm thinking about it?
I use my blog as a personal journal. There are some filters on what I say to avoid breaking confidences or being hurtful to people , but for the most part I am not thinking of readers or trying to find more readers. I tend to develop my ideas and thoughts, and have found it is a wonderful tool.
For example, I am livid about our leadership to the point where I feel passively paying my taxes is an immoral act. Moving out of the country is a real and viable option for me, though not my first choice. I'd been thinking about starting a theatre down the road, then read Kipley's recounting of the space he found and starting the long task of building it into a theatre.
So I worked out a non-passive response to what I see as the psychotically dysfunctional path my country is going down. Well done fringe theatre does not beat people over the head, but gets them to think. Big equity theatres can do this to, but they tend to be a little less challenging to the audience and are less accessible to most people. The beauty of fringe can be that building a subscriber base does not have to be the primary goal. Getting a few people to think openly, instead of going along with the herd is a worthwhile and reasonable aim.
Writing down my thoughts and anger in a journal helped me focus. I may not find a space for a theatre, but I won't be passive.
1 Comments:
I said when we sat down, that that this must be how two science-fiction writers feel. It's not just Brin and Zelazny sitting down to eat; Brin's whole world of Startide Rising is at the table, as is Zelazny's Amber world.
At that exact moment, you had just slid all the way in on your side of the booth, and I was still entering mine -- so I was imagining You and the invisible character of YourWriting seated across from MyWriting and Me. A cozy foursome, two of whom were not currently speaking -- but had spoken a lot in the past.
This is new. This didn't happen to me, before blogging. That "facets of the gem" is a good analogy.
Post a Comment
<< Home