Conjure This
So, thinking on magic the last few days...
Rachel sees the magic in many things, often creating it herself. I read a couple other blogs where people occasionally share the magic or dreams they see or create, and work with many people in theatre who do. For other people magic and dreams appear to have no place. I believe artists have their feet in both worlds. The mundane folks look at those who live exclusively in the magic or dream realm and say, "They're insane." They're probably right, and surely don't realize they're every bit as insane. To me, it is becoming more and more obvious you must have you're feet in both worlds to be balanced, that is, sane. If you excise one half of your being, both are dead, and it is cosmically inane to boast of which dead half of the corpse you decide to animate.
Do TV and religion serve to keep people a little sane? I got to thinking of the blogs and people I know who are obsessed with TV or church in the way I was as a twelve year old. I supplanted TV with books until I was forty, which in many ways was no better. I'm sure religious and tv fanatics will be scandalized, but they sound much the same to me both as an outsider, or in the past when I was one of the enlightened ones.
I wonder if it is the only way many have of keeping a foot in the magic realm. It is notable both TV and organized religion have a vested interest in keeping people from exploring their own dreams and magic, for what use would a formulaic sitcom or an evangelical preacher have for someone who has their own dreams and magic? I suspect that person would listen more closely, and therefore be harder to sway than the people they play to.
I'm more comfortable with friends and guides who open my eyes to new possibilities than those who would show me where and how I must walk to obtain their enlightenment. First, I don't believe they have a lock on the one true path, or any true path for that matter. Second, more often than not they are people lacking any spiritual or personal enlightenment of their own. Rather, they are simply using their dogma as a control mechanism.
Follow your own dreams, find your magic. These are not entrées which are palatable as someone's warmed leftovers.
Rachel sees the magic in many things, often creating it herself. I read a couple other blogs where people occasionally share the magic or dreams they see or create, and work with many people in theatre who do. For other people magic and dreams appear to have no place. I believe artists have their feet in both worlds. The mundane folks look at those who live exclusively in the magic or dream realm and say, "They're insane." They're probably right, and surely don't realize they're every bit as insane. To me, it is becoming more and more obvious you must have you're feet in both worlds to be balanced, that is, sane. If you excise one half of your being, both are dead, and it is cosmically inane to boast of which dead half of the corpse you decide to animate.
Do TV and religion serve to keep people a little sane? I got to thinking of the blogs and people I know who are obsessed with TV or church in the way I was as a twelve year old. I supplanted TV with books until I was forty, which in many ways was no better. I'm sure religious and tv fanatics will be scandalized, but they sound much the same to me both as an outsider, or in the past when I was one of the enlightened ones.
I wonder if it is the only way many have of keeping a foot in the magic realm. It is notable both TV and organized religion have a vested interest in keeping people from exploring their own dreams and magic, for what use would a formulaic sitcom or an evangelical preacher have for someone who has their own dreams and magic? I suspect that person would listen more closely, and therefore be harder to sway than the people they play to.
I'm more comfortable with friends and guides who open my eyes to new possibilities than those who would show me where and how I must walk to obtain their enlightenment. First, I don't believe they have a lock on the one true path, or any true path for that matter. Second, more often than not they are people lacking any spiritual or personal enlightenment of their own. Rather, they are simply using their dogma as a control mechanism.
Follow your own dreams, find your magic. These are not entrées which are palatable as someone's warmed leftovers.
1 Comments:
Okay, I'm stalking your site, Scott. I've been checking it periodically for the end of year/turn of the new rumination. Looking forward to it, when it emerges. Or to whatever does come. Happy new year.
Post a Comment
<< Home