Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, November 15, 2004

The Up Side

The aspirin did the trick, keeping the fever away. No more dropped lines in Rumors, though everyone is very aware of every word I say -- I try to tell myself it is good the cop makes them nervous. A friend who is taking the Meisner Progression gave me some very positive feedback. That was great, because my line gaffes on Wednesday and Thursday were not my big concern.

Another audience member I didn't know asked me after the show if I was a real cop. How cool is that? I still need to do work for this role, and future roles for that matter. That kind of feedback makes the effort worthwhile. That and the nice and informed words from Greg were terrific to hear. Maybe I'll keep doing this acting stuff. As if I could quit.

Friday my folks came, which is always great. I'm 47 and I still love it when my folks come see me on stage. They brought along my new license plates. My truck is still registered at their place because I intend to donate it to a theatre, so it shouldn't really matter. The problem has been getting title to the vehicle I'd like to replace it with. More on the plates.

After Sunday's matinee I headed for Capitol Hill, to videograph the closing show for Akropolis. I cleaned my ancient VHS recorder and brought it along. They set up their camcorder to capture most of the stage, and I was up in the seats following the action creating tableaus and close-ups to augment their camera's footage. It turns out their camera failed to record. If I'd known I would have framed my shots a lot differently. I recorded the entire thing, but there were some jerky camera movements as I quickly shifted from one focus to another, assuming I'd be able to meld it together nicely in editing. The added concern is whether there was enough light for my nearly 20 year old video camera. If not, I actually taped the warm up to get my camera movement warmed up, so we should be able to put together some sort of demo. I would like to get a very good camera and tripod at some point, so I can concentrate more on framing and smooth transitions for my video than keeping everything going.

There was an added treat. Jennifer and Joseph's 4 1/2 year old daughter joined the warm up. It was at once hysterical, beautiful, and moving. She darted in and out with her father like a joyous little sprite. I hope the camera caught a little of that spirit for them. I will certainly remember it for a long time in any case.

Joseph is probably borrowing my truck at the moment to move the set piece to their house. I wasn't able to help, but didn't mind loaning the truck out in the least. I left the new license plate on the seat, so I wouldn't get them in trouble.

I realized there was actually an up side to the peremptory canceling of our Wednesday show which I mentioned earlier. I'll be able to attend most of my Mask class on Wednesday. I didn't get to go at all last week, and I am really looking forward to tonight's class, even if I didn't have time to do my homework.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home