Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Whose Is It To Lose?
            -- or --
Make Up Your Freaking Mind!

I hate polls. Most of the polls I see show a large disapproval rating for Bush. Large margins of dissatisfaction with his handling of Iraq and Al Qaeda, the economy, the environment, etc. Yet a slight (statistically tied) preference for him over Kerry. No wonder so many of us are going nuts. I'm not wild about Kerry, but I'm adamant in my preference. The problem is there are so many that detest both candidates in a way that their preference is meaningless except for their one vote. They have no chance of encouraging another person to think, because they are simply shrill, whiny, and indecisive in their special way.

I'd like to have a truly liberal and viable candidate to support. And like the witch hunts which were named after that flash in the pan, Joseph McCarthy, but existed for decades before and after, the suppression of truly liberal voices has been quite successful. We have psychotically conservative vs. overly conservative this year. I'm 100% behind the overly conservative Kerry, hoping for a liberal or even a moderate choice in the future.

A small positive step forward is hundreds times better than a staggering, waffling, mincing, insignificant little lurch to the left. A step at least has a chance of building momentum, while a sidestep simply adds to the current inertia.

More On Indecision
Sadly I think the vast majority of folks who feel an understandable and fierce disdain for both candidates will vote for Kerry. Should Kerry lose, these will be the people who will be responsible. That unwillingness to take a stand has an impact. You can blame Nadar for 2000, and if we re-Bush you can blame the folks who hadn't the courage to support their choice because he's not some fairy tale knight in shining armor. Next time lend your support to the one fighting the evil witch, even if it ain't your Prince Charming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home