Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Sunday, November 14, 2004

More Threes...

Of course, you may have missed the previous post on 'three' which I thought was too ucky, and archived.

Thursday was our opening night. It was also Veteran's Day. I got several sets of good wishes for both occurrences. Oddly enough for me the bigger significance of the day was a third milestone, the two year anniversary of my motorcycle crash. On 11/11/02 I was cut off on the freeway express lane while commuting to an improv class and hit the pavement rather than the fellow talking on his cell phone who popped over without signaling. I went down rather abruptly at 60mph, and my bike and I discovered the joy of bouncing on asphalt at 60 mph. Last year and this year I made a special point of riding the motorcycle on the same stretch of freeway on 11/11. No weird feelings either time.

Last night, Friday, was our third show, and the first one where I didn't make a colossal screw up. I finally realized I was running a fever, and took three aspirin before the show to reduce the fever. No getting lost, no skipping ahead, and a decent job. I'm still struggling with the process of bringing the process and tools I learned in my intensive class last year to a show where I'm not working with others that have a similar process. I'd guess having a process puts me in a minority.

Also on the third show I stumbled upon a prep that works for me in this show. The dressing room is a ratty old space, and I swept and mopped it, about two hours work on Friday. It was a desire to honor and be honored by the space, and while I did it I used the service aspect to help me prepare. I'm a cop trying to deal with nouveau riche, and cleaning around people who were inadvertently dropping trail mix and tissues as I was cleaning helped with the public servant aspect of the role. By tonight I had a system and was able to get the cleaning done much faster after everyone left the dressing room. The space is less dusty, my sinuses like that, the other actors love the fact their bare or stocking feet aren't filthy after one step, and it gives me a physical activity while I run lines and prep and daydream into the character. A win-win-win situation for me. The cast is bemused, especially when I responded to a query as to whether I did this at home and answered while holding back a chuckle, "Not on your fucking life!" I'm stuck now. At first it was simply to honor the space, now it is crucial for my prep as Officer Welch. I hope the next cast using the space appreciates it.

We had a matinee today and afterwards I walked a couple blocks to catch the first hour and a bit of Richard's 40th birthday before the evening show. Damn, but I wanted to stay longer. His gatherings are always fun with a fascinating bunch of people. I was flattered to be included, and truly regretted I couldn't stay longer. I had a sip of Richard's Manhattan. I'd ordered one a couple months ago after hearing Richard rave about them. I think what I got that time was just a couple ounces of bourbon in a cocktail glass.

I liked my sip of Richard's Manhattan, and on the way home picked up a bottle of sweet vermouth so I could have more than a sip when I was done with shows for the day. I'm finding a couple things. It's a little on the sweet side and a little stronger than I like. It will be a scandal to 'purists', but I'll probably go for future Manhattans on the rocks. I may try getting dry vermouth and experimenting. Maybe half and half or all dry will suit my taste better. There is as blend of flavors I like in a traditional Manhattan and a little less sugar and some dilution may make for something I really like.

I've decided three things. I won't proof this much, but I will spell check. Maybe I'll archive it in the light of day. Second, it is time to go to sleep, so I have nearly a ten hour rest window before getting up for the matinee I'm performing in tomorrow, and the show I'm videographing for Akropolis. If you live in the area it will be your last chance to see this amazing show -- and you'd be ignorant and unkind to yourself to not make the effort. Thirdly? Hell! I forgot what it was. G'night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home