Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, November 08, 2004

A Lovely Haze

I went on my ride along with Sgt. Duncan of the Port Orchard Police Department yesterday, and will transcribe the appropriate parts when I get done with my paper journaling of the ride and my impressions.

Tonight was the tech rehearsal for Rumors. Very well executed tech rehearsal. The light plot is very simple, the simplest I've ever worked with, but for a farce where people are all over the place I think that is the best way to go. Especially for a community or fringe theatre production. The sound cues were thought out and charted ahead of time, so like the light cues it was just fine tuning the timing.

The theatre, which is at Seattle Center, is a hundred yards or so from the Space Needle. I wished I was a photographer. It was fully dark, and there was a light fog when I arrived, thickening gradually as the altitude increased. The Space Needle saucer, softened by the mist was breath taking. I was very early, and I kept stopping to stare at it as I shucked my riding gear and stowed it in the trunk. I'm not needed until the end of the play, and the tech started an hour later than our normal start time. It turns out I was a whole hour earlier than I thought, so I walked to the QFC to get a turkey/cranberry sandwich. I'm not wild about QFC, preferring locally owned stores, but that is a great sandwich. Not too heavy, not too rabbit foody.

Walking back across Seattle Center with my sandwich I was mesmerized by the Space Needle. It was other worldly, the kind of beauty that makes you love a civilization. I yearn for the kind of soul in our collective which built space needles instead of the stagnant souls building strip malls.

After the rehearsal the fog had thinned some, and it was with regret that I rode my bike home. I love my loud exhaust pipes. The folks parked next to me who were leaving at the same time snubbed my friendly salutation, which I take as license to be pretty damned loud. Even so, I couldn't indulge myself. The soft mist, and the lovely picture of the Space Needle in my mind's eye made me handle the throttle modestly so I wouldn't break the spell for anyone else. I hope you have a great evening too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Rutherford said...

Mmmm, lovely...

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home