Good Mourning
The Warriors' Wasting
by Scott Maddock
A young man, I volunteered to serve
Protecting your freedom and the weak.
Fought for those who quickly lose their nerve
Yet bravely send us our deaths to seek.
Cowards at home applaud, pundits lie,
Living high while carnage knows no side.
Can't even watch men they sent to die.
"To view our dead serves the other side."
On coming home there's no jobs to find.
Warrior's skills sent to the garbage heap,
"Don't compete with those who stayed! Don't mind,
It's only fair their plunder they keep. "
These "cautious" ones steal your liberties
Call compassion or discourse treason,
Want your thoughts to cease; and fears increase.
The only thing they fear is reason.
Sugared voices, strident calls, the same
Message spreads. With them or against them,
It's your only choice. An ancient game
To be sure; it is their precious gem.
You worship the puppet master's skills,
Let the warriors take their poison pills,
Masters do not pay for sins or kills,
It's the warriors lot to bear those ills.
I pray for those now fighting. To God:
Give them strength and hope. May each that lives
Have champions of their own, and God,
Save our warriors from conservatives.
I know I'm not a poet. But attempting verse keeps it short.
I guess I'm not the only one contemplating leaving the United States. An interesting article about the subject. Not so much the content, which totally misses the thought that paying taxes in this country may well be an immoral act, or as the Catholics would say, "A mortal sin." Rather the fact that it is considered newsworthy.
I'm heartened and saddened by the large number of people who are evaluating the ethics of living in this country. If I get serious about the possibility of moving in a year, I better start making plans and job applications in about six months. Maybe, I'll try dissent first.
by Scott Maddock
A young man, I volunteered to serve
Protecting your freedom and the weak.
Fought for those who quickly lose their nerve
Yet bravely send us our deaths to seek.
Cowards at home applaud, pundits lie,
Living high while carnage knows no side.
Can't even watch men they sent to die.
"To view our dead serves the other side."
On coming home there's no jobs to find.
Warrior's skills sent to the garbage heap,
"Don't compete with those who stayed! Don't mind,
It's only fair their plunder they keep. "
These "cautious" ones steal your liberties
Call compassion or discourse treason,
Want your thoughts to cease; and fears increase.
The only thing they fear is reason.
Sugared voices, strident calls, the same
Message spreads. With them or against them,
It's your only choice. An ancient game
To be sure; it is their precious gem.
You worship the puppet master's skills,
Let the warriors take their poison pills,
Masters do not pay for sins or kills,
It's the warriors lot to bear those ills.
I pray for those now fighting. To God:
Give them strength and hope. May each that lives
Have champions of their own, and God,
Save our warriors from conservatives.
I know I'm not a poet. But attempting verse keeps it short.
I guess I'm not the only one contemplating leaving the United States. An interesting article about the subject. Not so much the content, which totally misses the thought that paying taxes in this country may well be an immoral act, or as the Catholics would say, "A mortal sin." Rather the fact that it is considered newsworthy.
I'm heartened and saddened by the large number of people who are evaluating the ethics of living in this country. If I get serious about the possibility of moving in a year, I better start making plans and job applications in about six months. Maybe, I'll try dissent first.
1 Comments:
HERE HERE, BROTHER DEAR!
I usually don't have time for all the blogs I get, but I had to read this one. Nice compostion Scott, from your adoring English teacher sister :-) At this point, I have concluded that as a nation we possess the collective IQ of about.....65. Sadly, both my republican and democratic friends are annoyingly ignorant. We happen to have pretty conservative family values without practicing fundemental christianity. I'm still not williing to assess one's intellectual ability to manage the entirity of this country based on personal issues that are taught in one's private life. Sure, I wanted a third choice, but I do agree with many of the foriegn tabloids simply refering to our national congregation as DUMB. My friend I talked to you about said Kerry's probably lucky that he's not being held responsible for georgie's massive blunder. However, there are mulititudes in addition to the war, which further showcase his ineptitude.
I have to post one more e-mail and head out. Signing off as a fellow realist.
Love, Sis
Post a Comment
<< Home