Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, November 15, 2004

The Down Side

The board for the show I'm working on disappointed me a couple times over the weekend. I've been on boards and have done a lot of work, and I appreciate what they do. Still they should be reminded to respect and give space to the actors.

We were in the dressing room before the show and in walks a crowd of board members, friends, and actors from previous shows. They held the door open for an extended period while several people were in their skivvies, were very loud, and ensconced themselves in the dressing room for 20 minutes or so. It was like having a barrel of ice water dumped on you in the middle of prep. I know and like several of the people, and felt a little let down. Even as a stage manager I don't intrude unnecessarily in the dressing room, generally make calls from the doorway so I don't have invade the space any more than necessary.

Well, they are new at it, hence the name Next Step Theater. They are good folks. They have worked especially hard reviving a theatre company which nearly died. I reminded myself of all that and it made shaking off the ice water feeling easier.

I mentioned it to the director who is on the board, but I don't think he understood my concern. To be fair Ben is the most accommodating director I've worked with. The times I've had schedule issues he resolved the situation quickly and without fanfare. I respect that immensely.

Our show for this Wednesday was canceled. This was my second disappointment. It was a board decision because no tickets had been sold yet. I would not have felt irked if someone had asked the cast. I would have been strongly inclined to go on with the show, as I think canceling a show gives the appearance of last ditch desperation. If the actors had been asked and most went along with the decision, and I think they would have, it would have been palatable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home