Brighten Up
Autumn kisses leaves
Winds lifting swirling choosing
Dance over chaos
I read my posts from yesterday. I'd gone over several things which made me feel good and a couple which didn't feel so good. I was tempted to archive the downer one. The last time I really thought of those things that irritated me was when I recounted them for my blog.
For the last couple days the I've been pestering everyone with my description of Catherine dancing with and around her daddy during the Akropolis warm up. I told a few people who I had shared my artistic self-doubts with about being asked if I was real cop again. I'm sure I'll mention these again, but not so often. Like previous experiences they'll soon be thoughts which will crop up in relation to topics in future conversations.
Why do we like to talk about things we have just experienced? I'm guessing it is our way of putting things into long-term memory. The same concept involved in using a person's name in sentences several times when you first meet them, so you more easily remember their name. I want to remember the perceived compliment of being mistaken for a real cop, and even more I want to remember the family warm-up.
I started down this train of thought after realizing I only mentioned the irksome things a couple times, in a kind of purge. On the other hand, I wanted to share the nice things over and over again. I was wondering why my focus was on things which made me feel better. That was not the case for a very large part of my life. What's the causative factor? If I get back in that self-destructive whiney world, how do I heal myself? Can it be as simple as watching what I say? Is the effort to be upbeat in what you choose to share a pivotal piece? I haven't a real clue, but my heart says, "Yes!"
Last month I wrote about what you take with you and what you leave behind in this life, and came to the conclusion that for me they are the same. I've been reminding myself of that concept in my day to day decisions, trying to apply it on a smaller scale. Not very often, something under 5% of the time if I had to make a guess. It makes a difference. Dropped a few pounds, got a couple minor but long delayed projects done.
What it boils down to for me is I truly am the arbiter of my own life. If it sucks, either I chose to look at it that way or to live it that way. Take it or leave it. It sounds judgmental, yet it gives me hope. Sort of an ass-kicking affirmation I can give myself. I've avoided the annual Winter blues for five years now. I still don't know how I got to the point where I finally looked on the bright side of life, but it's worth kicking my own arse to stay there.
Winds lifting swirling choosing
Dance over chaos
I read my posts from yesterday. I'd gone over several things which made me feel good and a couple which didn't feel so good. I was tempted to archive the downer one. The last time I really thought of those things that irritated me was when I recounted them for my blog.
For the last couple days the I've been pestering everyone with my description of Catherine dancing with and around her daddy during the Akropolis warm up. I told a few people who I had shared my artistic self-doubts with about being asked if I was real cop again. I'm sure I'll mention these again, but not so often. Like previous experiences they'll soon be thoughts which will crop up in relation to topics in future conversations.
Why do we like to talk about things we have just experienced? I'm guessing it is our way of putting things into long-term memory. The same concept involved in using a person's name in sentences several times when you first meet them, so you more easily remember their name. I want to remember the perceived compliment of being mistaken for a real cop, and even more I want to remember the family warm-up.
I started down this train of thought after realizing I only mentioned the irksome things a couple times, in a kind of purge. On the other hand, I wanted to share the nice things over and over again. I was wondering why my focus was on things which made me feel better. That was not the case for a very large part of my life. What's the causative factor? If I get back in that self-destructive whiney world, how do I heal myself? Can it be as simple as watching what I say? Is the effort to be upbeat in what you choose to share a pivotal piece? I haven't a real clue, but my heart says, "Yes!"
Last month I wrote about what you take with you and what you leave behind in this life, and came to the conclusion that for me they are the same. I've been reminding myself of that concept in my day to day decisions, trying to apply it on a smaller scale. Not very often, something under 5% of the time if I had to make a guess. It makes a difference. Dropped a few pounds, got a couple minor but long delayed projects done.
What it boils down to for me is I truly am the arbiter of my own life. If it sucks, either I chose to look at it that way or to live it that way. Take it or leave it. It sounds judgmental, yet it gives me hope. Sort of an ass-kicking affirmation I can give myself. I've avoided the annual Winter blues for five years now. I still don't know how I got to the point where I finally looked on the bright side of life, but it's worth kicking my own arse to stay there.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home