Foot Work
I archived several of my recent entries, by changing the date to 2002. I didn't want to lose them, but I didn't like the tone. Not only was the tone wrong, it didn't jibe with my feelings. Sometimes you write like a nut, sometimes you don't. Which is best? (I'm not telling.)
I'm rolling along in two classes, improv with Rachel and Neutral Mask at Freehold. No homework in either class, both fun and worthwhile. I'm new to mask, and expect it to take me somewhere very interesting. It already has. I mentioned internal dialog in one of the archived entries, and how as a result of the Meisner training I am able to shut it off. Trying to learn how to shut off internal dialog is not something I could do volitionally. It had to be approached tangentially. It feels we are working towards an equivalent ability with our physicality. Pretty bold assertion after 2 classes, but the feeling is there. I don't have a clue where exactly the tangential approach will slide us. I believe it will be another tool which allows us to shed our personal artifacts in taking on a character. Exciting artistically and spiritually.
Tonight, I want to learn my lines for Saturday's gig, and do some more character work. I read Playboy of the Western World and am bummed I won't have a chance to read The Cherry Orchard. Luckily, in that scene my character doesn't change as much. Still, I'd prefer to read the script. I know, trust, and respect the actors. Otherwise it would have been pretty dicey to accept the parts with only a week, a full time job, two classes, etc, and only a few hours total rehearsal time.
If all goes well I'll do more character work tomorrow evening, including some line running while doing some fast-paced walking. I started learning lines on my feet, and like running them while doing something moderately strenuous to avoid "On Your Feet Syndrome". It's not a real name, but every actor knows it. You have lines down cold, recited them five times in the car on the drive, but when you're standing/moving with the other actors you can't remember a damn thing.
That's the great thing about a healthy desk job. You get home and try to recall your day, and happily you don't usually remember a damn thing. You get a better respite, and by the time you sit at your desk the next day things almost always look better.
I'm rolling along in two classes, improv with Rachel and Neutral Mask at Freehold. No homework in either class, both fun and worthwhile. I'm new to mask, and expect it to take me somewhere very interesting. It already has. I mentioned internal dialog in one of the archived entries, and how as a result of the Meisner training I am able to shut it off. Trying to learn how to shut off internal dialog is not something I could do volitionally. It had to be approached tangentially. It feels we are working towards an equivalent ability with our physicality. Pretty bold assertion after 2 classes, but the feeling is there. I don't have a clue where exactly the tangential approach will slide us. I believe it will be another tool which allows us to shed our personal artifacts in taking on a character. Exciting artistically and spiritually.
Tonight, I want to learn my lines for Saturday's gig, and do some more character work. I read Playboy of the Western World and am bummed I won't have a chance to read The Cherry Orchard. Luckily, in that scene my character doesn't change as much. Still, I'd prefer to read the script. I know, trust, and respect the actors. Otherwise it would have been pretty dicey to accept the parts with only a week, a full time job, two classes, etc, and only a few hours total rehearsal time.
If all goes well I'll do more character work tomorrow evening, including some line running while doing some fast-paced walking. I started learning lines on my feet, and like running them while doing something moderately strenuous to avoid "On Your Feet Syndrome". It's not a real name, but every actor knows it. You have lines down cold, recited them five times in the car on the drive, but when you're standing/moving with the other actors you can't remember a damn thing.
That's the great thing about a healthy desk job. You get home and try to recall your day, and happily you don't usually remember a damn thing. You get a better respite, and by the time you sit at your desk the next day things almost always look better.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home