Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, September 03, 2004

Rocket Scientists Too?

I just ordered an out of print book, Peenemunde to Canaveral, an autobiography by Dieter K. Huzel. I read it nearly twenty years ago. It was one of my favorite books. To become an engineer in Germany he was required to apprentice as a machinist first. He worked at Peenemunde on the V1 and V2 rocket programs. He decided to leave Germany in the nick of time. He was Jewish. I remember he invented variable pitch turbine blades for turbojet engines while at GE. In searching for the book I recalled it was not a novel concept, similar things had been done for steam and water turbines. Different implementation and needs. In the turbojet it increased the effective operating rpm range, making supersonic flight much more feasible. It takes a very creative intellect to see and apply similar solutions for very different technologies.

I have thought about the book ever since reading it. I'm not very happy with the lowest price I was able to find, but I look forward to getting it anyway. His is not the typical story of a German rocket scientist who went to work for the Americans or Russians after Peenemunde was taken by the allies. While many creative people were fleeing Germany, and even more were being rounded up, he was in a creative pursuit that was needed and honored. My memory of specifics is foggy, but I believe he could have stayed in Germany, though he would have had to compromise himself. Whatever the specifics, the book has been on my mind more and more lately. Especially in light of the post yesterday where I talked about artists leaving the country. I think of the creative people I know who feel our government pose a tangible danger to it's own populace and are contemplating emigration, and I pray we won't get close to the situation Dieter Huzel experienced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home