The Rest of the Story
I have been trying to find a way to describe my experience at the opera. I talked about the events and things which shaped my experience. What hits me the most is the spectacle itself. And I mean spectacle in every good sense of the word. Not only was I reminded of seeing the Ice Follies, but of seeing the Bill Cosby in person for my 8th birthday, the first musical and play I saw when I was five or six, Brigadoon and Arsenic And Old Lace at South Kitsap High School. There was a magic, for all those first time experiences.
I noticed things about the art form. It seemed like opera, or at least Lohengrin was mostly exposition, with a lot of beautiful music and singing to carry it along, and a little movement. Like going to plays, I found myself chuckling with enjoyment in places where nobody else does. Something about having an understanding and appreciation for set up I suppose. I love the journey even more when I recognize the signs. But that is nothing different than the little details of going to a play. During the opera, I was also tearing up for sadness and joy at seeming random times. Just like those other first time experiences. I don't want to explore it anymore. To experience it and remember it is sufficient.
I noticed things about the art form. It seemed like opera, or at least Lohengrin was mostly exposition, with a lot of beautiful music and singing to carry it along, and a little movement. Like going to plays, I found myself chuckling with enjoyment in places where nobody else does. Something about having an understanding and appreciation for set up I suppose. I love the journey even more when I recognize the signs. But that is nothing different than the little details of going to a play. During the opera, I was also tearing up for sadness and joy at seeming random times. Just like those other first time experiences. I don't want to explore it anymore. To experience it and remember it is sufficient.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home