Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, September 02, 2004

Random Thoughts

On the political discussion group at work one woman posted a comment which sums up my perception of the Bush administration when I am at my most charitable. It is dead on the money, while being delightfully pixyish and funny. Enough talk, see what you think.
The Bush administration reminds me of the type of guy who will get into a barroom brawl over a girl, and then is surprised when the girl won't go home with him.

During my break I have been catching up on theatre as an audience member, and more importantly reconnecting with friends and family. I don't think any of my friends are high maintenance; acquaintances and some family yes, but not friends. I am trying to figure out another description. I guess people of inertia and people of momentum. My brother and sister are great examples of inertials. Their priorities, schedules, and/or personalities keep them from initiating contact. They are always glad to get together or chat, but it rarely happens unless someone else initiates. They are not idle people, they simply expect some (or all?) people to seek them out. This is not a judgment or evaluation, rather an observation. I can't make a judgment, because shyness or self-centeredness are just two of many equally likely possibilities. Besides, I strive to be less judgmental -- outside of politics.

I noticed this basic dichotomous tendency last year while most of my time was consumed with the Meisner Progression. My folks, well my Dad and Stepmom, and friends like Paula, Steve, and Beth all kept in touch with me. While I consider these to be wonderful people, judgments are as ridiculous as for the complementary types. It is not static either, as it was not long ago I did not call people, except for family every once in a while. I find it is easier to stay in touch with people of momentum. I have quite a few friends I have reconnected with now class is done, and there is a little bit of awkwardness for me. When it feels like a one way relationship you tend to get tired, and there is a little voice who says, "They think you are a pest." It is probably a built in regulator, so you don't in reality become a pest.

I am looking to starting another one year progression, either stage combat or mask. Not as big a commitment as Meisner, but add it to some rehearsal schedules and aside from class breaks I will lose touch with most of the people of inertia. Again, I'll wonder, "Which ones should I try connecting with again?" It usually happens unconsciously. If I think of someone, I generally contact them at least once. There are little informal guidelines I follow. If they did not respond when I contacted them last, or it felt distinctly cool, I take it as a pretty big hint, and generally I only need a couple hints to figure out there is a trend. I suppose I am risking the loss of potentially good friends, while lessening the risk of being an ass.

Yesterday I heard part of Montel again. People were going on about unruly kids. The videos depicted everyday run of the mill brats having tantrums, not Dahmers in the making. I've seen cousins, nephews, nieces, and kids of friends behave the same way and they still seem to turn into considerate productive people as often as their polite counterparts. What troubled me was parents surreptitiously videotaping their children. It wasn't even part of the discussion. Am I the only one who finds it disturbing in an Orwellian sense? Desensitizing children to constant surveillance?

I just searched my writing for this post for "that" and "just." I overuse those words so much, and even keeping it in mind I still found five or six that's and two just's. Of course in doing that I just reintroduced two, oh damn, three, of each.

You want to hear another nerdly tale? I use the stairs at work. I park in the low level of the garage, and walk three flights to my office on the second floor. For lunch I go down to the first floor, walk over to the next building, and take the stairs to the fifth floor. Same thing when I have a meeting in another building. I look at my belly, and figure elevators are another labor saving device which I don't need for buildings with less than ten floors. Now for the nerdly part, aside from writing about it. I know how many stairs there are between floors, and I count them forwards, backwards, half each way, etc. Something to keep me occupied, and forget about the tediousness of it. I'm thinking of switching to alphabetic counting. If I want to find a nerd, he's no further than the nearest mirror.

I made a post to the political discussion group at work, and thus far there have been no responses. For the one or two people that read this, I'd be curious what response you get to the question.

Artists - who needs them anyway?

I am very involved in fringe and professional theatre in this area, going to many shows, as well as acting, building sets, tech directing, etc. for many shows. Consequently I know lots of artists, not just those directly involved in theatre.

I have a number of friends and acquaintances who are very seriously contemplating a move to Canada or Europe. Four years ago the people considering a move simply wanted to work full time as artists for a few years, then come back home. I know there are people who are bugged because money gets spent on artwork that is not loved by 100% of the population. I am not talking about exorbitant or even reasonable fees for a few individual artists, rather the overall support for the artistic community, and the fact it is harder to make a living as an artist in this country than most, maybe all, other western countries.

Now, it seems more artists are leaving or thinking of leaving because of perceived and real threats from their own government, or simply because of assaults on liberty and privacy. Whether you agree with these people or not, it is a widespread perception, and these people are not contemplating working in other countries for a few years, they are thinking of leaving for good.

Has anyone else heard these murmurs?

Are you concerned we may be losing independent voices?

Are you happy the flakes are clearing out?

I really am interested in people's responses either way.


2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Rutherford said...

Add me to the list of people thinking of moving for good. And I have NEVER had that thought before this administration.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Oh crap, another one.

To be honest I have been considering the possibility for over a year. Judging by my house renovation progress I don't yet consider it a immediate concern, but things could change quickly.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home