Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, September 17, 2004

If Turn About Is Fair Play -- We're Screwed

I saw this in the New York Times a few days ago.
The White House asserted that progress was being made in Iraq. "You know, every step of the way in Iraq there have been pessimists and hand-wringers who said it can't be done," Scott McClellan, the chief White House spokesman, said at a news briefing. "And every step of the way, the Iraqi leadership and the Iraqi people have proven them wrong because they are determined to have a free and peaceful future."
Our leaders keep spewing this raw sewage for our consumption, expecting a big "Thank you sir, might I have another?" They tell an outrageous lie, and back it up with more outrageous lies.

Every day and in every way they attempt to prove they are the spawn of the "National Socialist German Workers Party." We all know that had nothing more to do with promoting socialism or the German workers than the Republican party has to do with promoting a republic.

It is indeed painful to see our leaders telling one blatant lie after another. It is even more painful how many people lap it up. I'm reminded of a comedian who talked about American's love for batter fried items. He said you could batter and deep fry turds and we would eat it up. Looking at the mini-mart and most grocery deli counters it is hard to contradict him. The way this country has gobbled up the administration's lies evokes the same picture for me. Admittedly the approval rating has fallen to around 50%. I guess some people are noticing what's under the crumbling batter. It just amazes me the rest don't seem to care about what is so obvious and foul.

I also think you have the asshole factor. The majority of the conservatives I have talked to parrot ridiculous statements, but more than that it is simply a jousting match. There is no desire or even willingness to actually consider anything which does not mesh with their world view. The closest they ever get to a discussion is calling you on something, usually an intentional misinterpretation on their part, occasionally a red herring. "Ah ha, you contradicted yourself you!" It is a game, nothing more to them. Whereas I am honestly concerned about thousands of people dying needlessly at home and abroad. As a result our country treats the lives, hopes, and wealth of the rest of the world like a poorly executed game of checkers.

We whine at the top of our shrill little voices if see a dead American or even a dead "terrorist" in the media. We just want to kill them all; we don't want to see the actual dirty work. We are too afraid to even consider what we could do besides killing anyone we can be made to fear. I don't believe our lifestyle would suffer if we took a good honest look at ourselves, and started acting responsibly. It might hurt a few ceo's -- so what? We had better learn to be responsible for our policies before long if we don't want the victims of our free enterprise to continue responding in kind. The number of innocent Iraqis we have killed dwarfs the number killed in the twin towers. Yet we can't see any comparison, and any suggestion it is understandable the Iraqis would like the same sort of pay back is dismissed. Why? If the twin towers is the worst loss of life we see on our soil in my lifetime I will be surprised. I think there is a slight possibility we can avoid it. Not a chance in Hell if the Bushites prevail, and a very slim chance if Kerry does. We need to make reparations, meanwhile we continue to court moral and financial ruin.

Enough doom and gloom. My job finished successfully! I'm going to go home and have a drink with my junk food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home