Building Blocks
I finally went to the zoo this morning. On the way the joy of being on a motorcycle struck me again. The excess power always lying ready in wait, the balance and smoothness, and mostly the rush of the wind around and through my riding gear reminding me I was not separated from the world around me. Even when it is foul, spitting rain with bad visibility, and achingly cold that feeling is occasionally there, ready to lend appreciation to being in the warm house, office, or studio at the end of the commute. I never search for the feeling, it is simply welcome when it comes along. Typically, it tells me I am more open to inspiration than I thought. A nice reminder with a slight caffeine headache going along for the trip.
I was surprised at the zoo again. My character is a cop who comes in towards the end of the farce and brings everything to a head and resolution. As I was starting down the path a picture of a bald eagle being pestered by a murder of crows or a flock of seagulls came to mind. I have seen it numerous times, and the eagle attempts to ignore them unless they go to far. Then the eagle selects one individual and goes after him to the exclusion of all else. My mother related a story around 1980 of a bald eagle who really got miffed in front of our house. He focused on a specific seagull and terrorized it. He forced the seagull down to the water, and the other seagulls pulled back at the frightened cries of their comrade. The eagle wasn't done with the lesson. For at least ten minutes he dove on the hapless seagull which could only skitter across the water like a freshly molted duck that can't quite get airborne.
I had a preconceived notion of my character being like a bald eagle set upon by noisy pests, and getting fed up in the same way. Preconception -- bad. Screw it, I thought, just go with it, and come back later if needed. I inadvertently followed Robin's advice. By chance, or was it an unconscious awareness of her instruction over the last year? When you feel something blocking you, work your way through it. I decided to look at things like gorillas, monkeys, orangutans, bears, and herd animals. Something where you have an alpha leader. Nothing struck me right away, with the exception of a gorilla who seemed irritated by people looking at her. Maybe I'd go back and watch her some more.
I walked to take a look at the lions for fun. I have always loved lions and other cats, and birds of prey, though I knew lions didn't fit the bill at all. On the way I walked by the Savannah exhibit seeing the giraffes were already out. Even though I arrived right at opening today, the giraffes were not in their enclosure. I suspect they were held back a couple hours last time as one of them seemed to have a minor sore or rash. Had I not viewed them in the enclosure first I would never have picked them for my last character.
I was thinking about the giraffes a bit as I passed the end of the Savannah, and was at the lion enclosure again. I'd walked by earlier on my way to the gorilla habitat, but didn't see them. I was looking at a thicket about halfway down when the male lion emerged. Oh my God, I had never seen and felt the power and majesty of a lion like that before. He owned his realm. A lioness followed, and she was just as powerful though deferring to the larger seemingly more experienced male. Perfect for my scene including the younger female partner in the background. That emergence caught me, and changed my perspective of Officer Welch within a single heartbeat. He is still beset by the other characters, but he owns the world when he walks in. I found my animal when I wasn't looking, after I had worked through my preconceptions. I took nearly a page of notes. I want to go back and take more. Maybe there is a better animal, and I'll keep my eyes peeled. Today I'm a lion.
I want to watch the siamangs some more too. They are incredibly loud primates, barking or hooting together. The act haughty and supercilious, while their movements and puffing throats make them seem more super-silly. They reminded me of the other characters.
I only spent a couple hours at the zoo. The Labor Day crowd was getting distracting. It is so damn fun to watch the people watching the animals, especially children. Back home for a much delayed breakfast, which is cooling right now. Then I'm going to make a nice big batch of gazpacho for the week. I am in the mood for lighter meals right now.
I was surprised at the zoo again. My character is a cop who comes in towards the end of the farce and brings everything to a head and resolution. As I was starting down the path a picture of a bald eagle being pestered by a murder of crows or a flock of seagulls came to mind. I have seen it numerous times, and the eagle attempts to ignore them unless they go to far. Then the eagle selects one individual and goes after him to the exclusion of all else. My mother related a story around 1980 of a bald eagle who really got miffed in front of our house. He focused on a specific seagull and terrorized it. He forced the seagull down to the water, and the other seagulls pulled back at the frightened cries of their comrade. The eagle wasn't done with the lesson. For at least ten minutes he dove on the hapless seagull which could only skitter across the water like a freshly molted duck that can't quite get airborne.
I had a preconceived notion of my character being like a bald eagle set upon by noisy pests, and getting fed up in the same way. Preconception -- bad. Screw it, I thought, just go with it, and come back later if needed. I inadvertently followed Robin's advice. By chance, or was it an unconscious awareness of her instruction over the last year? When you feel something blocking you, work your way through it. I decided to look at things like gorillas, monkeys, orangutans, bears, and herd animals. Something where you have an alpha leader. Nothing struck me right away, with the exception of a gorilla who seemed irritated by people looking at her. Maybe I'd go back and watch her some more.
I walked to take a look at the lions for fun. I have always loved lions and other cats, and birds of prey, though I knew lions didn't fit the bill at all. On the way I walked by the Savannah exhibit seeing the giraffes were already out. Even though I arrived right at opening today, the giraffes were not in their enclosure. I suspect they were held back a couple hours last time as one of them seemed to have a minor sore or rash. Had I not viewed them in the enclosure first I would never have picked them for my last character.
I was thinking about the giraffes a bit as I passed the end of the Savannah, and was at the lion enclosure again. I'd walked by earlier on my way to the gorilla habitat, but didn't see them. I was looking at a thicket about halfway down when the male lion emerged. Oh my God, I had never seen and felt the power and majesty of a lion like that before. He owned his realm. A lioness followed, and she was just as powerful though deferring to the larger seemingly more experienced male. Perfect for my scene including the younger female partner in the background. That emergence caught me, and changed my perspective of Officer Welch within a single heartbeat. He is still beset by the other characters, but he owns the world when he walks in. I found my animal when I wasn't looking, after I had worked through my preconceptions. I took nearly a page of notes. I want to go back and take more. Maybe there is a better animal, and I'll keep my eyes peeled. Today I'm a lion.
I want to watch the siamangs some more too. They are incredibly loud primates, barking or hooting together. The act haughty and supercilious, while their movements and puffing throats make them seem more super-silly. They reminded me of the other characters.
I only spent a couple hours at the zoo. The Labor Day crowd was getting distracting. It is so damn fun to watch the people watching the animals, especially children. Back home for a much delayed breakfast, which is cooling right now. Then I'm going to make a nice big batch of gazpacho for the week. I am in the mood for lighter meals right now.
1 Comments:
Comments seems to be back up and working. Must have been just a blogger glitch. -- r2
Post a Comment
<< Home