Mini-Reunion I
My sister came up from Vancouver, Washington this weekend with her two boys and spouse. They stayed with my brother in Kenmore, about fifteen minutes from my house. I hooked up with them for the big Kenmore parade; about 6 blocks long on two side streets. We all went to see nieces, cousins, or daughters in the parade. It was great to see everybody, though I was hoping for a chance to talk briefly with my nephew Andy, the younger brother. He is eight (I think) and I wanted to ask about John.
His friend John was killed by two large dogs almost six months ago. Apparently he opened the fence and went in. Nobody knows just what happened, as they were friendly dogs the whole neighborhood enjoyed. It made the news for a bit, and what was mentioned only tangentially were the two families. John's family was traumatized as well as the dog owner's family. It turns out they supported each other. There was not an appropriate time during the parade and fair to talk with Andy and his parents; I didn't even think of it in those circumstances. I would like more information though. The grief of those two families and how they reached out to and supported each other in tragedy is a story that deserves to be told. That approach could be healing in many other circumstances. I know it is something I would like to write about when I am ready to move on from my current projects.
His friend John was killed by two large dogs almost six months ago. Apparently he opened the fence and went in. Nobody knows just what happened, as they were friendly dogs the whole neighborhood enjoyed. It made the news for a bit, and what was mentioned only tangentially were the two families. John's family was traumatized as well as the dog owner's family. It turns out they supported each other. There was not an appropriate time during the parade and fair to talk with Andy and his parents; I didn't even think of it in those circumstances. I would like more information though. The grief of those two families and how they reached out to and supported each other in tragedy is a story that deserves to be told. That approach could be healing in many other circumstances. I know it is something I would like to write about when I am ready to move on from my current projects.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home