Cold
Sally Brady from Exchange Theatre left me a voice mail Sunday afternoon asking if I would be available as a reader for callbacks for their upcoming production, The Playboy of the Western World. I was happy to help them out, and it was good cold read practice. Trying to read Synge never having even read the script was a challenge.
I read with three or four people early on in the callbacks. Damnit. It wasn't until about the third read through of the sides that I started picking up on the rhythm and meaning. If I had watched the people reading together and had more time with the sides I would have been a bit better for them. I still need lots of work for cold reads. It was hard to think about any improvement, when I was frustrated by not feeling I was doing as good a job as I should for the auditioning actors.
One actor asked if it was alright to touch me, and I said, "No problem, I'm here for you." Well, she gave me a nice (chaste) kiss at the end of the scene. A nice surprise from a talented and attractive young woman. I told Vince I thought she was very good, but that I might be biased by getting a nice kiss.
I read with three or four people early on in the callbacks. Damnit. It wasn't until about the third read through of the sides that I started picking up on the rhythm and meaning. If I had watched the people reading together and had more time with the sides I would have been a bit better for them. I still need lots of work for cold reads. It was hard to think about any improvement, when I was frustrated by not feeling I was doing as good a job as I should for the auditioning actors.
One actor asked if it was alright to touch me, and I said, "No problem, I'm here for you." Well, she gave me a nice (chaste) kiss at the end of the scene. A nice surprise from a talented and attractive young woman. I told Vince I thought she was very good, but that I might be biased by getting a nice kiss.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home