Hang In There
I saw a pedestrian hit at 1st Ave N and Mercer St. I was on 1st waiting for the light, which is one way northbound, and I noticed a car turning left suddenly stop. I looked and saw the pedestrian hit the ground hard. I hadn't noticed the pedestrian prior to that, as it was dark and rainy and she was wearing dark clothes.
I pulled foward and parked in the second parking lot on the left, at St. Paul's which has the scalloped chalet roof. I was delivering a stage prop I'd built, and once the police arrived I went down to let them know what I'd seen. He had no interest in me as a witness, and was snidely curt in the way of the career beaurocrat at the DMV. Disclaimer here, I haven't met that kind of jerk at the DMV since I went to Bremerton in the 70's. Good luck, or simply an inaccurate stereotype.
View Larger Map
Here's the aspect I had from the light.
View Larger Map
Who ever you are, I hope you recover as quickly as I did when I went down on the motorcycle. A scare and bad bruising is more than enough for anyone to deal with, and again I hope you have the same lack of lingering injury.
I believe it was an accident in the truest sense of the word. Poor street lighting, and lousy conditions. I imagine the driver feels horrible. It's made me pay extra attention to crosswalks...
I pulled foward and parked in the second parking lot on the left, at St. Paul's which has the scalloped chalet roof. I was delivering a stage prop I'd built, and once the police arrived I went down to let them know what I'd seen. He had no interest in me as a witness, and was snidely curt in the way of the career beaurocrat at the DMV. Disclaimer here, I haven't met that kind of jerk at the DMV since I went to Bremerton in the 70's. Good luck, or simply an inaccurate stereotype.
View Larger Map
Here's the aspect I had from the light.
View Larger Map
Who ever you are, I hope you recover as quickly as I did when I went down on the motorcycle. A scare and bad bruising is more than enough for anyone to deal with, and again I hope you have the same lack of lingering injury.
I believe it was an accident in the truest sense of the word. Poor street lighting, and lousy conditions. I imagine the driver feels horrible. It's made me pay extra attention to crosswalks...
1 Comments:
I feel bad for the person. There's plenty of such poorly lit corners in Seattle (hey, Nickels, there's a public works program for you that might actually save lives instead of enriching your corporate owners!). Still, I wonder why residents of Seattle insist on wearing dark clothing during these winter nights. I'm not playing blame the victim, but it is a measure of self protection.
A friend tells me that it's the driver's responsibility to be aware of her surroundings and pedestrians. True that, however we all know that this isn't a perfect world and even good drivers have bad days. We also know that there are plenty of bad drivers in the world. And, such statements are hardly comforting to the person lying in a hospital bed or worse. Better to dress in easily spotted clothing.
Post a Comment
<< Home