Three is Crowding Me
Last thing yesterday evening I found out Richard Grant, one of my best grade school friends died recently of brain cancer. Then first thing this morning I found out about Paul Newman. I of course never knew Mara or Paul personally but had short connections. Mara through a co-worker, and Paul through my uncle. They raced professionally at the same time and same circuits. Now, Uncle Spence was a son of a bitch, known as one of the most talented and gifted drivers out there, but one of the dirtiest too. Paul Newman and Dick Smothers were known for being class acts and surprisingly good drivers. Ironic on several levels -- I'll remember Paul more fondly because of my uncle.
I met Richard as Ricky and as we approached junior high he became Rick, and was Richard in his Obit. We were best friends for years, with the occasional half a day here and there as mortal enemies. I had two other friends like that, so he was a very big part of my early life. Funny, in addition to all the memories of childhood joys and games I remember a mole he had on his face. His right cheek back towards the temple or was it the jaw or cheek bone? It impressed me, and made me a little jealous because it had a couple big blond hairs. I mean, how cool is that? I've tried to track him and his sister down a time or two over the last few years to see if they are on any social networks. It's fun to touch base with people you knew years ago, but this is not my preferred way of catching up. I hope his family and friends are doing well. I remember him as a charming, good, and fun person.
I met Richard as Ricky and as we approached junior high he became Rick, and was Richard in his Obit. We were best friends for years, with the occasional half a day here and there as mortal enemies. I had two other friends like that, so he was a very big part of my early life. Funny, in addition to all the memories of childhood joys and games I remember a mole he had on his face. His right cheek back towards the temple or was it the jaw or cheek bone? It impressed me, and made me a little jealous because it had a couple big blond hairs. I mean, how cool is that? I've tried to track him and his sister down a time or two over the last few years to see if they are on any social networks. It's fun to touch base with people you knew years ago, but this is not my preferred way of catching up. I hope his family and friends are doing well. I remember him as a charming, good, and fun person.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home