Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, September 22, 2008

Conspiracy Fallacy

I was suckered from the google news page to an article about the financial meltdown and bailout. It was an article titled Plausible Deniability, and I didn't notice it was from the most egregious purveyor of misinformation in modern history. At the end of the first paragraph foxnews says:
If you believe the Times or the Obama campaign, everything but government regulation is to blame for the crisis.
They actually put that in print. So according to the fox reality, "If you believe the Times or the Kennedy Widow, everything but JFK himself is to blame for the assassination of the 35th president." That's right, and you heard it here first. At fox they believe Jack Kennedy shot himself dead with a remotely positioned high powered rifle.

Oh, the icing on the cake. They blame Clinton for the financial meltdown. It was no surprise, as I read several pieces speculating on how long it would take them to blame Clinton for the latest of their boy king's disasters. I bet there were a lot of betting pools on that. Congratulations if you won.

Is fox finally jumping the shark? Probably not. They haven't run out of people they can fool into living in fear or willful ignorance. What should really worry us all is that this is not the rantings of the neighborhood lunatic, but mass consumed drivel that we cannot write off as inconsequential.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was half listening to NPR last night at work. Newt Gingrich was on and he was discussing the need for Congress to slow down and take up the financial take-over deal more deliberately. Basically, Newt was saying that Congress needs to create some serious oversight group to keep a close eye on the Treasury secretary. For a moment I thought that it was awfully odd that I was agreeing with the Newt. Then it occurred to me: he thinks Obama will win the White House and he wants some group to keep an eye on Obama's Treasury secretary. ;-)

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home