Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, August 14, 2008

Payback's a Bitch

I'm not clear on what is happening in Georgia, which sadly puts me on par with the white house and at least one belligerent, cranky whining candidate. I do get the impression it was not a time critical issue, meaning I think Russia picked the time to repsond. Let's see, the biggest rivals in their eyes are us and China.

Even the majority our own population finds the sabre rattling and attempts to scold Russia for attempting regime change ludicrous. We ceded the moral high ground in favor of lucrative no-bid contracts for cronies to pursue an elective war we started (after failing to provoke one). Now, we can't even afford to stay in Iraq, much less play with any big boys.

China is busting a hump to cover their routine human rights depredations long enough to get some good press out of the Olympics. Russia is kind of stealing their thunder.

So assuming Russia chose the timing do you think the Chinese frustration at losing the spotlight and the exposing of U.S. impotence and hypocrisy has anything to do with their choice? My mental picture of this is America getting totally pants'd in front of everyone, and the trophy trousers held up in front of China's face.


Definition
Pants'd: 70's slang for when someone yanks down your pants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home