Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, August 18, 2008

Communing With the Weeds

A novel weekend for me. A sultry weekend, and I hung out in the shade with books and laptop. The script I wrote last December was my project. I wanted to get busy on a rewrite, and actually got one done. Plus I did a little fun reading (The White Dragon).

Since we were in smog warning I didn't mow the lawn, though soon I'll have to at least run the scythe over it to prevent the dandelions from going to seed. They and the clover are the only things which have grown since the last mowing anyway. A lazy August day. I want some more of these. I forgot how nice it is to just sit around outside. I'll try to get my mowing and weed/shrub whacking done before the weekend so I can some more guilt free liesure.

I had several take-aways on the script. Most surprising was how much I enjoyed reading it. Second was the short bits towards the end which are a little heavy handed in the treatment of gall-mart and vp dickweed. (The names changed here to apt aliases.) Heartless box stores and proudly corrupt leaders deserve mockery, but they are not the focus of the story so I have to lighten up the treatment, making it a little subtle.

I'm guessing the script is not as fun for others as for me, and that the heavy handedness isn't as smothering as it seemed. I of course assume the negative is closer to reality, and I need more work to make the script enjoyable and less heavy handed.

I have a couple friends who offered to give it a read. One a big vampire fan, the other another big theatre fan. I'm looking forward to their feedback. Nearly as much as I'm dreading it. Silly of me I hope, as thus far people have really liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home