Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, May 12, 2008

Organized Catastrophe

A natural disaster of Epic proportions. The militaristic government doesn't act. Well, they do turn away foreign aid and workers out of misplaced paranoia and pride. Katrina. Now, Myanmar. A little over half-way through his regime george w bush managed to make our country indistinguishable from Myanmar when taking car of a domestic disaster.

The gall never ends. The most distended bladders of any sort occupy our halls of power. I remember how we arrogantly turned away foreign aid, with all those neocon panties in a twist because of some imagined slight? Yet they turned Black Water's criminally inclined mercenaries loose in the New Orleans with weapons release authority/discretion. Oh, but they had a handle on the situation, they said so then and most of them say so now. I guess that blinds them to the psychotic irony of their indignation over Myanmar doing the same thing.

I'm embarrassed and more than simply ashamed our leadership can't even attempt charity without over-politicizing it. We can't accept unconditional charity when struck by tragedy. We can't offer unconditional charity when others are struck by tragedy. Instead we we strive to make the any situation worse thanks to the cartoonish posturing of our chicken-hawk administration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home