I'm A Sneak
I just saw the new Indiana Jones movie. It captured the camp and fun of the first installment, so it will appeal on that level to those of us who remember when it came out in 1981. I can't speak for the younger crowd, but I'd guess the formula is the same in a pop culture contextual way.
I went in with anticipation, but guarded expectations. After all, my employer (Expedia) is partnering with LucasFilms, or whatever is the proper marketing term. It's a big promotion for us, and I was worried it would be a little disappointing like the fizzle at the end of the Star Wars. I still haven't made it all the way through the last episode of that one.
I had a great time, and enjoyed the way they handled an older lead. The young guy, Marion's son, is predictably snotty to Indiana. What I enjoyed was his not rising to the bait in typical Hollywood fashion, but going on in his focused almost distracted way when following a clue and winning over the new generation kid just by doing his thing. It felt fun without a contrived or awkward feeling. I was gratified.
I hope it appeals to all, simply because it was good old corny, campy fun in a nostalgic way which the first of the series did in a similar milieu of cookie cutter action movies. It is funny it seems to have come full circle where the action/adventure flicks that are plain old fashioned fun are once again striking a chord. At least for me.
We had a good company meeting, so from a business perspective I hope others have as much fun as I. More importantly I just hope others enjoy the same sense of enjoyable nostalgia. The first movie nailed that feeling, using stereotypical bad Nazis soon after they'd fallen from vogue as baddies needing no exposition. Twenty years later, and stereotypical Soviets fill the same fading niche. It was the first clue this is more romp than anything else. Thank you Expedia for supporting this, and giving me a chance to see a sneak preview two days before release.
I went in with anticipation, but guarded expectations. After all, my employer (Expedia) is partnering with LucasFilms, or whatever is the proper marketing term. It's a big promotion for us, and I was worried it would be a little disappointing like the fizzle at the end of the Star Wars. I still haven't made it all the way through the last episode of that one.
I had a great time, and enjoyed the way they handled an older lead. The young guy, Marion's son, is predictably snotty to Indiana. What I enjoyed was his not rising to the bait in typical Hollywood fashion, but going on in his focused almost distracted way when following a clue and winning over the new generation kid just by doing his thing. It felt fun without a contrived or awkward feeling. I was gratified.
I hope it appeals to all, simply because it was good old corny, campy fun in a nostalgic way which the first of the series did in a similar milieu of cookie cutter action movies. It is funny it seems to have come full circle where the action/adventure flicks that are plain old fashioned fun are once again striking a chord. At least for me.
We had a good company meeting, so from a business perspective I hope others have as much fun as I. More importantly I just hope others enjoy the same sense of enjoyable nostalgia. The first movie nailed that feeling, using stereotypical bad Nazis soon after they'd fallen from vogue as baddies needing no exposition. Twenty years later, and stereotypical Soviets fill the same fading niche. It was the first clue this is more romp than anything else. Thank you Expedia for supporting this, and giving me a chance to see a sneak preview two days before release.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home