Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, May 14, 2008

As Long As We're In the Aria...

I had an interview with the Seattle Opera during lunch today. They were looking for supernumerary soldiers and guards for Aida. If costuming is okay with it I will be a soldier. They are only on stage briefly, once in the second act. However my height and chest measurements are a smidgen over what they are looking for. Costumes are usually borrowed/rented creating an interesting challenge for production staff. I'm just right for a guard, and there is a possibility there as well because there is one guy who may not be able to work with the schedule. The guards are on stage a lot.

Either way I expect I'd be at the back of the group, because they are looking for people of color. So, I don't expect much of my training would be called for, but what the Hell? What a terrific experience, being in rehearsals and performances with world class operatic talents. My fingers are crossed, and if I'm not needed for this show I'm now in the database and according to my friend Gregory (who I need to look up again), I'm a size and type they are often looking for.

I saw I Puritani on Sunday with Paula. That was a great show, and a few people chuckled when I remarked on the way out, "Nobody died, what kind of opera is that?" Then we met up with Steve and my folks for supper. My folks saw the matinee of The Diary of Ann Frank at the Intiman, which was a great show. I saw it Saturday night. I knew the Actor who played Mrs. Frank, Amy Thone. She played King John in the all female production I raved about a while back. I still think that was the best Shakespeare production I've ever seen.

Now, the title role in Ann Frank was played Lucy DeVito, who has rather famous parents. I got to wondering if Danny and Rhea comes to her shows. Which got me to thinking how lucky I am to have my Dad and Stepmom come to so many of my shows. He and Joyce live in Arizona during the miserable months, and if they are visiting when I'm doing a show they come. And the rest of the year they make time to come to my shows. Something I enjoy as deeply as I appreciate. I'd say the enjoyment appreciates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home