E'er New
It was a terrific run. Exhiliarating. Exhausting. Joyful. Depressing. Monday I woke up feeling half alive, and I wasn't left with the good half either. I left work after a few short hours and napped for a long time. Then made a nice stir fry and got a good full night's rest. I felt a hundred times better Tuesday, though still a little thinned out as Frodo would say.
I found out a lot of new things I need to work on during the rehearsals and run of the show, and was pleased to find a few that seemingly worked very well. One was really getting on voice, and letting go of the feeling I was hollering. That allowed me to work in some character work as well as making better use of the text analysis tools. One of my friends from ETI (the conservatory I did a couple years ago) commented on how a couple of us picked and hit the operative words in a comprehensible way. That's espicially critical for me right now as I struggle to build up my chops for all the other aspects. I need to incorporate my naturalistic training and do more physical work to make the characters pop more. I think it is the most I've grown in a single production, which is nice because the gulf I need to fill seems to keep getting larger. The more you learn, the less you know conundrum.
After we finished striking and socializing on Sunday I went to a writing workshop, and brought the first two scene from the full length vampire play I wrote in December. I was terribly apprehensive. I wrote the piece differently, writing the whole thing beginning to end without re-writing the earlier parts. I've just started proofing and making notes so they were still very rough. The roughness didn't make me apprehensive, the subject matter did. I thought think it inane, and who am I to write about vampires? Well, the actors really got into reading the scenes and I got some suggestions I totally agree with which indicated people really enjoyed the story. One suggestion was to give specific motivation to one of the three characters, which was missing and talking it through helped germinate some ideas. Another was to make the age transformation of one of the characters more apparent at the outset. Opening monologue -- an appealing idea after finishing a Shakespeare production.
I'm still kind of stuck in a gauze distancing me from normal reality. I suppose the blues and a bit of a low impact bug I'm getting over are responsible in addition to the post show relaxing let down. We're getting hints of Spring and that is nicely timed with a fading diminutive malaise.
On Saturday I'm leaving to visit my folks in Arizona for a week, so maybe I can burn that mild malaise right out of my system.
I found out a lot of new things I need to work on during the rehearsals and run of the show, and was pleased to find a few that seemingly worked very well. One was really getting on voice, and letting go of the feeling I was hollering. That allowed me to work in some character work as well as making better use of the text analysis tools. One of my friends from ETI (the conservatory I did a couple years ago) commented on how a couple of us picked and hit the operative words in a comprehensible way. That's espicially critical for me right now as I struggle to build up my chops for all the other aspects. I need to incorporate my naturalistic training and do more physical work to make the characters pop more. I think it is the most I've grown in a single production, which is nice because the gulf I need to fill seems to keep getting larger. The more you learn, the less you know conundrum.
After we finished striking and socializing on Sunday I went to a writing workshop, and brought the first two scene from the full length vampire play I wrote in December. I was terribly apprehensive. I wrote the piece differently, writing the whole thing beginning to end without re-writing the earlier parts. I've just started proofing and making notes so they were still very rough. The roughness didn't make me apprehensive, the subject matter did. I thought think it inane, and who am I to write about vampires? Well, the actors really got into reading the scenes and I got some suggestions I totally agree with which indicated people really enjoyed the story. One suggestion was to give specific motivation to one of the three characters, which was missing and talking it through helped germinate some ideas. Another was to make the age transformation of one of the characters more apparent at the outset. Opening monologue -- an appealing idea after finishing a Shakespeare production.
I'm still kind of stuck in a gauze distancing me from normal reality. I suppose the blues and a bit of a low impact bug I'm getting over are responsible in addition to the post show relaxing let down. We're getting hints of Spring and that is nicely timed with a fading diminutive malaise.
On Saturday I'm leaving to visit my folks in Arizona for a week, so maybe I can burn that mild malaise right out of my system.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home