Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Shot In The Dark

A co-worker who sits across the hall and one office down from me, was grievously wounded in a hold-up. I don't really know him, as we've not worked together on a project and his window has a poster I like on it, which blocks him from casual view. So I can't picture what he looks like, though I'm sure I'd recognize him as a co-worker.

It is strange when someone you are acquainted with is the victim of a sudden senseless tragedy. In a case where it is a co-worker with whom I assume I've exchanged pleasantries and can't place there exists an empty feeling of regret. There is nothing I can do, and the regret centers on that and the thought that were I better acquainted there would be more I could do than feeling helpless.

I'll bet this is a universal type of feeling. It is the counter-balance to the not so charitable side which leads us astray as individuals and communities when we give in to fear. That nearly irrational regret we feel when we want to be of more help gives me some comfort and faith that we fallible humans have the potential to become better as a society.

There is a realization when tragedy strikes that in a heartbeat our lives can be unalterably changed, and not for the better. My leg still hurts every day from breaking it three years ago last month. Usually below the awareness level, but with over-exertion and/or bad weather moving in it can be excruciating to the point where it takes hours to get to sleep, and then wakes me back up. I thought about how minor my leg was after watching a painful post on B.D.'s World Monday. Now this. It somehow makes me understand how people let themselves be overcome by fear. As long as we are able give more attention to our compassion, maybe the world has a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home