Whore Hum
One of the gifts of my first stepmother was giving me an appreciation of baseball. She not only got me interested in baseball, by going to watch the triple A team in Tacoma and going to see the major league games in Seattle, she gave me an enjoyment of the game. I still enjoy going to see a game. Traffic got to the point where I don't get out to Tacoma often, it's been several years. The strikes and threatened strikes reduced my attendance to major league games to less than 10% of what it was. I really enjoyed watching players develop, even to my untrained eye. A-Rod in the minors was beautiful to watch, but once he established himself in the majors that extra effort to excel and apparent love of the game was no longer visible. He became as exciting to watch as a Metro bus. Others who were diehard fans of the team still got excited, but I was a fan of the beauty and art of the game. Of course the drunken tailgate fans wouldn't be completely off base to say that's just cause I was an amateur fan.
Still, it was obvious to me when Grif and A-Rod started coasting. It was disappointing. I did get worked up a couple times, like when Carlos Guillen was intentionally injured by Tony Phillips. Guillen was gracious, while I knew if that happened anywhere else there would have been an assault conviction. I got cross at a similar incident when a bat broke. Clemens was the pitcher and for some bizarre reason took it personally. He threw the barrel of the bat as hard as he could at the runner. How he avoided causing a serious injury I don't know. Like it or not, thugs like these are role models, and we should not forgive what is an actual assault because it is done out of poor sportsmanship. I'd rather have my kids watching Ahnold kill 400 people in an action movie, than watch a vicious player like that. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have kids?
What do I think about the Clemens steroid scandal? Ha ha ha ha! A man who tries to maim his peers without even the thin excuse of backing them off the plate is not someone who has any credibility with me. From the little I've heard his attempt to take out the runner with the bat has the sound of irrational aggression consistent with steroid use. My point being that either he's a habitual bully or a habitual steroid user. Not that they are mutually exclusive. Good thing I'm not in a jury for the idiot -- for me he burned the bridge to assumed innocence long ago.
Of course, it's ridiculous this is playing out in congress. Denigrates both the sport and the lawmakers involved. A spoiled athlete is denying the drugs he used? So what? You'd think they'd spend as much time questioning the telcoms instead of giving them the neo-con "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. Are they planning on giving him retroactive immunity? What about OJ? Vick?
Here's a conundrum. The whole ridiculous thing bores me. Yet here I am writing about it.
Still, it was obvious to me when Grif and A-Rod started coasting. It was disappointing. I did get worked up a couple times, like when Carlos Guillen was intentionally injured by Tony Phillips. Guillen was gracious, while I knew if that happened anywhere else there would have been an assault conviction. I got cross at a similar incident when a bat broke. Clemens was the pitcher and for some bizarre reason took it personally. He threw the barrel of the bat as hard as he could at the runner. How he avoided causing a serious injury I don't know. Like it or not, thugs like these are role models, and we should not forgive what is an actual assault because it is done out of poor sportsmanship. I'd rather have my kids watching Ahnold kill 400 people in an action movie, than watch a vicious player like that. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have kids?
What do I think about the Clemens steroid scandal? Ha ha ha ha! A man who tries to maim his peers without even the thin excuse of backing them off the plate is not someone who has any credibility with me. From the little I've heard his attempt to take out the runner with the bat has the sound of irrational aggression consistent with steroid use. My point being that either he's a habitual bully or a habitual steroid user. Not that they are mutually exclusive. Good thing I'm not in a jury for the idiot -- for me he burned the bridge to assumed innocence long ago.
Of course, it's ridiculous this is playing out in congress. Denigrates both the sport and the lawmakers involved. A spoiled athlete is denying the drugs he used? So what? You'd think they'd spend as much time questioning the telcoms instead of giving them the neo-con "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. Are they planning on giving him retroactive immunity? What about OJ? Vick?
Here's a conundrum. The whole ridiculous thing bores me. Yet here I am writing about it.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home