Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Friday, February 08, 2008

Dark Ages

In January I paid my power bill on-line, nice and early. A good boy for a change. Then my new bill came and didn't show my previous payment. I meant to call them and find out what was going on. They never bothered with a warning, just made my house dark and cold. Mostly my fault, and at least they appear to have taken me off the "Shut off late Friday for a weekend of misery" list. I got them in a minor bind for some of their typically amoral behavior and they have made my life unpleasant at every possible turn, including earlier disconnections than anyone else. The sort of passive-agressive treatment you can't bitch about. Yup, I'm late so there is nothing I can gripe about if I don't get the grace period everyone else gets. I know, and they know, it is my punishment for mentioning their extortion attempt to a state senator -- even if he chose not to follow-up once they said "We're republicans and would never do such a thing."

Coming home to no power is a nuisance on Thursday evening, but a royal pain on Friday so I was actually a little thankful last night. My irritation with myself and the abusive power company was still there, but I let go of it pretty quickly.

My right tibia is a barometer thanks to the break/surgery nearly three years ago. When cruddy weather is moving in it usually aches, sometimes pretty profoundly. If it gets chilled, it is even worse. All that was last night's scenario. I couldn't even turn on the tv or radio to give me something else to focus on. Usually I can accept pain and dissipate the discomfort with light meditation and visualization. It was more intense, and that just made me aware of it. The damn thing started twitching with some of the more painful spasms. With all that activity I was expecting arctic tornadoes. Just a cruddy day, weather-wise, nothing more. Kind of a let down.

Even with the discomfort I enjoyed going to sleep in a quiet and dark house. It has a wholesome feel. I woke quite early, and with nothing to cook or occupy myself I came in to work. That means I'll be able to go home early. That's a good way to start the weekend.

Political Gripe Of the Day
See the big to-do about MSNBC and idiot Shuster apologizing to Clinton? When is she going to apologize for:

  1. Letting w start the war.
  2. Waiting for over a year after the story broke to be 'outraged' by the inadequate body armor and humvee armor.
  3. Waiting for over a year after the story broke to be 'outraged' by the abysmal medical care for soldiers injured in combat.
  4. etc. (There is more...)

She better be willing to debate on their network, after they apologized and showed themselves to be have more integrity, sensitivity, and humility than her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home