Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Politicizing the Weather

Politicizing the Weather

All you experienced snow drivers, stay home.

It's the same story evrywhere I've lived, here, Georgia, Florida, Guam, Japan... "These local drivers just don't know how to drive..." Here we have the folks from the East Coast and the Mid-West boasting how local yokels simply can't drive in Winter conditions. They rub our noses in it all year round, their self-declared superiority. Makes them all sound like republicans. And like republicans the truth is utterly at odds with their claims.

Is it pure weather-driven hubris? I like to say so, but on a more logical level I think it is because they have lots of experience driving on frozen pavement or a thick layer of compacted snow and ice. We don't often get those conditions. We have extended periods of slush or wet ice on the roads, and uneven often jagged patches of ice. Quite different from the deep freeze conditions of our foreign whiners who whine we need state of the art road clearing heavy equipment even though we're down to needing it one or two days a year.

Like a simple-minded matron in a four wheel drive monstrosity believing they are impervious to the elements. One thinks their rickety tank will protect them, the other thinks their dated experience with utterly different Winter weather conditions will save them. The matron driving the urban farm equipment will learn they aren't impervious. Can't say the same for the foreigner from Lake Wobegon learning anything.

I went out to warm up the car. Since I won't brave the roads for at least another half hour I thought I'd melt the snow frozen to the windows instead of scraping. The junior high across the street started two hours late, and parents were dropping off their kids. I noticed most the cars were creeping. Of course the one spinning tires at 90mph, fishtailing, and making even less headway than the creeping was from Minnesota. How sweet of them to live up to my stereotype.

How about that? I bet you saw the title and expected me to go on about junk science and global warming for a gratuitous vent against evil.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I resemble that remark! I understand that people here don't get much experience in these driving conditions. They are better off following your example and staying home until the roads clear a little.

It took me 55 minutes to drive from Monroe to Redmond yesterday - about average. It took me another 45 minutes to drive from the co-signer's office to my own. All the way I watched as people driving their mini-hummers and such acted superior and spun, slipped, and generally wreaked havoc on the roads. I witnessed a guy laughing at someone who was spinning their wheels only to be startled when a city employee he nearly ran over pounded on the side of his drifting truck.

I didn't get upset at it all. My plan was sound - give myself plenty of time. Rather, I was amused.

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home