Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Going Down

[Written 02Jan -- Posted late]
I fell on my ass in the office kitchenette and was very pleased with myself. I stepped on a wet spot and before I knew it my leg shot right out and I ended up sitting down hard on the other foot. I looked like a hurdler at the apex of a leap. I slightly bruised the knee of the right leg which is the one which I sat/fell onto.

A couple things occurred to me. First, I want to continue working to keep myself limber. Before I did all this theatre work such a slip would have been pretty painful, and with lots of good luck would have only strained the groin and sprained the knee which was compressed. The knee bent enough that my foot was midway between the front and back pockets of my jeans, and without the limbering up of the last few years I would have needed more knee surgery. The second thought was with the fifty additional pounds I used to carry I would have gone down a lot faster and harder, though a witness said I would've had more cushioning.

Mostly I feel pretty lucky. I broke my leg a while back doing nothing more than roller-skating, so I know an unexpected tumble is a potential bad time. I startled the other person in the kitchenette. I suspect I let out a mild curse on the way down, before getting right up to dust myself off. Going straight down was likely a help, making it more of an instant stretch. Without a twist my ankles and knees didn't get that shearing strain, and with the lower weight were very happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home