Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Thursday, December 13, 2007

Turn Your Back for a Minute...

I'm on vacation, and can't believe I'm mostly through the first week already. I've been sleeping long. I wasn't quite over the secondaries from my cold, and my sinuses are just starting to get back to normal, along with my gut. I'm sleeping in an old converted school bus, with a small wood stove. I hang out at the house then make my way to the bus at bed time. The last two mornings I've worked on the laptop, writing until the battery dies. Only a couple hours, though I may buy a new one soon.

I've gotten a little tightly wrapped, and the break from working on shows helped and this vacation is now. Usually I'm getting ready to head back to the world about now, but I'm just getting into a writing routine. Kind of nice. Also, I'm leisurely beginning the analysis of Troilus and Cressida which is fun. I'm really looking forward to working on a show with all my homework started well in advance.

They had a re-org of my group this week, which I believe was announced today. I was part of database development, which was just dissolved with the assets moving into the other dev groups. It proved inefficient in the past, so I'm not sure why the change now. Other than typical upper management masturbation, jerking around the little folks to get the power rush and make it look like you're doing something valuable. The neocon belief that being an arbitrary jerk shows you have courage and vision. Neither is true, but what does it matter?

This arbitrary attack on our careers is being done by the same fellow who ordered us to work weekends and evenings during the peak of Summer without ever once showing his face after hours or showing any gratitude. I'd forgotten about this user of others until now. I will have my resume updated by the time I get back. I'm not planning on leaving immediately, but figure with the current market it is a good time to check the water.

This move will break the career enhancement opportunities we had, and I honestly don't see where anyone will gain. I suspect there will be more than necessary attrition, because initial rumors of the re-org were denied as false, and lying to someone who was already seriously testing the waters is not a good move. Heck, I wasn't even interested in testing the waters. I now am being active. The reorg takes us backk to a model that was proven to be inefficient and actually counter-productive. It effectively takes away our voice for improving system quality. Like the handful of lawmakers who voted against making w a war cowboy president. Being right didn't matter.

The writing will be a salve and somehow reminds me there is a possible upside. I may have the opportunity to work with other programming languages, and I may not. Can't do anything until I get back. I know we are getting royally screwed by management. Whether I can get something positive out of it remains to be seen. Thank god for theatre. In the past I've obsessed about things like this, picturing many awful things, and very few of any possibilities. I can let go of the issue, and also spot the upsides. Somehow, it feels like it is freeing the creative juices a bit.

I'm writing a vampire thingy right now. I now, kind of a pop culture thing. I've some allegories I want to work into it. I'm not really impressed with it, but I'm writing and that's over half the battle. I think another fifteen pages or so and I'll be able to get back and focus on one of my other projects. More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home