Feelings
I'm getting over a bug. I'd be over it I believe, but I went back to work too long yesterday. Oh well, if you live, you have the potential to learn from it.
Henry Hyde doesn't merit his own post here. Why is it someone who is the epitome of scum, a cynical user of other's spiritual beliefs and fears for profit and power, suddenly becomes slightly admirable when they croak? Whatever slime or gilt we earn in life is all we leave behind in this mortal coil. Right now we also have shitflower Rove claiming congress rushed the white house into Iraq. Anyone else see the similarity in these bits of denying history? I suspect neither of these users of their fellow man honored or recognized any potential for growth in themselves, much less in others.
We're all maladjusted to some extent, and when we see Calvin & Hobbes do we like to believe that's our kind of maladjustment? I do. When Calvin falls into greed or other vices like I do at times, he either meets cosmic retribution or is the agent of retribution for someone in his life. Is that what differentiates me from the likes of the sub-humans above? I'm painfully aware of my fallibility and that allows me the opportunity to become a better person and grow. It allows me to see the same potential for growth in others. How can unchangeable power mongers ever see any good in themselves or others? That is what makes good people despise the neocon cabal, or previous ones of either political ilk. They nurture and grow on the detritus of decaying virtues they've killed in their followers. Evil seems to thrive on the compost of dead virtue.
1 Comments:
I like that last line: Evil seems to thrive on the compost of dead virtue. Excellent stuff.
The transformation of Hyde started when he was alive, of course. It began the day Bush stole the throne and flourished the day Hyde announced that he was not seeking re-election. Talk on NPR was about how Hyde was an elder statesman of the Republican party, yadda yadda.
I was traveling with the co-signer when I heard that Hyde had died. I generally do not waste nasty sentiments on those who are dead, but I did have a few choice words for what a bastard he was when he was alive.
Self righteousness inures those who seek to impose their Truth upon others. It's a sin that even the Bible discusses at length, but that fact is often ignored by those who find it inconvenient. False idols was another way of putting it.
Such people are beyond true humility which makes them closed to all but the most mundane lessons in life. They are not open to more universal truths, let alone forgiveness or shame.
Hyde, one might recall, prosecuted Clinton for an affair. It was later revealed that Hyde himself had a mistress for a number of years. That revelation led to his resignation. Like Reagan, Hyde's short comings were forgotten by the so-called liberal media once he was safely out of office.
Post a Comment
<< Home