Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Monday, October 08, 2007

Segue

BD recently talked about a couple who were bickering in his store. It resonated for me, especially because they were both gracious to him on their way out the door.

In July when I was visiting Aaron and Sonya on Denman Island, when the rain poured pretty much the whole time we were sitting in their living room watching a movie. They are both from Massachusetts, and have a little of what we think of as East Coast attitude out here. They were talking about work and the horses. Who needed to do what the next day, and what Aaron needed to do to settle in the horses that evening.

The subtext was totally different, and when it hit me very obvious. They were dancing. It was lovely to listen to. When it turned to seduction, I decided it was time for me to retire. That was not the intent I'm sure, as it was my response to the subtext. It sure gave me a different perspective on their relationship.

To set the picture so to speak, here's their place. You can see the geodesic dome; the square looking protrusion on the right is the kitchen area, the other is a green house. The tv area is in the nook between the two. Towards the top you can see the roof of the barn, and just below that is a good sized motor home, which gives you some scale to appreciate the size of the barn. During the warmer months the motor home is the sleeping area for guests. I think this view is a few years old, because I can't make out their windmill.


View Larger Map

It's a nice place to visit for me, as we've been roommates and so it is easier them to let me entertain myself, and I can go off and do some writing or hang around. I helped a little bit with the lean to they were building for the horses they board. It's to the left of the barn, and is definitely not in this picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home