Acting Up

My musings, thoughts, rants, and discoveries. - Scott Maddock

Back to Blogging


I haven't blogged here since 2012. Why am I making a stab at it again?

I realized two things about social media I wanted to get away from. First was that I was often using it as a journal, which is boring and maybe TMI for those platforms. Secondly I was using it too much for my taste, so that I felt like a tool for marketers rather than using social media as a tool for my ends.




Saturday, August 04, 2007

Cuppa Two

Not many real political ravings lately. I got to a point where I felt like it has all been said. Unlike the paid for conservative

mouthpieces, I get tired of repeating the exact same thing over an over. I did write a thank you letter to my congressman, Jay Inslee for pushing an impeachment investigation into the AG pretender Gonzales. I also wrote a letter to Speaker Pelosi, stating my feeling that the only way we can reestablish the rule of law and the constitution and our international reputation is to impeach the president and vice president. I asked her to rethink her position, as that is the only way I'll believe the democrats want to repair the damage instead of seizing the dictatorial powers the gop has been building. I told her if she doesn't have the courage to take a risky yet necessary action I will make my biggest election year donation ever. All to one person. Cindy Sheehan. I believe we need to return this country to the liberty and courage it was founded on, and thus far meekly noisy people like Pelosi, and poll followers like Clinton don't give me much hope.

There. Done for now.

When I saw No Reservations Tuesday night, even with the physical discomfort from the nasty stomach upset I was aware of a longing. The main character who is the guardian for her deceased sister's child, finally begins to connect by getting her niece involved in her work. It reminded me of my admiration of functional family businesses as a kid. Also of the fact that I don't have many like that in my life. I've never been much of a part of the lives of my nephews or nieces. The uncle that some of them like for going to plays or operas with, but not much more than that. I think I'm closer to many of the nephews and nieces from my first Stepmother, than my immediate family. Don't really know why, but I suspect it is habit. I was active duty in the Navy when they were born, so was not available. There was the start of the habit. Partly my own doing, as I've never been much for writing letters, and this was before they were on E-mail.

It's been awkward, as I try to maintain a balance in the number of invitations I extend trying to land between seeming pushy and aloof, even though I suspect the majority are simply ignored. Bottom line, I figure I probably won't ever see much of them once they're adults since I rarely see them now. I tried for a couple months to give one of my nephew's the Vanagon (without stating the intent), but couldn't get a return call. Then it occurred to me, that it wouldn't have any meaning to him, and likely would just be a junker in his eyes. It was a strange realization. I thought at the time it should cause some sadness, but I just couldn't find it.

The movie brought that back. I'd like to find someone I can share my joy of theatre with. My Dad did it for me. Then it hit me. I have. When I read and talk with the fourth graders I do just that, using books. The same with my step-nieces and nephews. I was caught in "I oughta'". "I oughta'" be doing cool uncle stuff for my nieces and nephews. My step siblings and A.G. Bell Elementary have given me that gift, as well as a few friends. I think that is the one of the biggest lessons of my forty's. Don't wait for life's bounty to arrive. Find it.

There are still those pitty-pot times when I feel like I need more friends. Now, there are also times I feel I have too many friends to keep track of. When I'm on the pitty-pot there is that balance to remind me I'm being self-indulgent in a bad way. Now I wonder why it is I thought making new friends was so daunting? Probably a fear that it wouldn't always succeed. There was a moment in time, probably 1999 when I started taking the initiative. I invited people to social gatherings, and celebrated those who came instead of fretting over the larger number who couldn't.

Having more friends, and being a mentor for young people. I do, yet I still have the longings. I think it is my hint to keep on living. Don't let inertia set in. Find life. Not wait for it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats (one day late) on your 50th birthday. Still remember your dad taking you to see Bill Cosby live over in Seattle (a few years back...) Great stuff! Hope you're well, Sam (Scott Alan Maddock) Take care...

6:26 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Wow, I didn't think anyone but myself (and a few regular readers of this journal) remembered that. Even my Dad doesn't remember.

I think it was my eighth birthday, and the coolest ever, and it is metaphorical for me, as my strongest memory is at Seattle Center, then entering and walking to our seats in the Coliseum or Mercer Arena. I was overwhelmed by the grandeur and anticipation, ready to explode with childish delight.

I got that feeling within a block of that location, walking through McCaw Hall on my way to see Lohengrin, my first opera three years ago. I was transported back to the delighted eight year old.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home