Soap, Soap, Everywhere
Okay, I feel like there is a lot of catch up to do here. Silly and general.
First for the generally silly. I got a nice gift basket from my sister's family for Christmas. What makes their baskets nice is they put them together themselves. There was a little woven basket, a antique pewter looking metal(?) with a reed like appearance, not more than a few inches square. An attractive little thing perfect for a dresser or bathroom counter.
It had three chocolate coins and a little white chocolate frog bust. The coins were nice, though in the last year of dark chocolate only I now prefer the dark. I figured it wasn't enough dairy to bother me so it was a worry free test. I wasn't so sure about the white chocolate, but it didn't have ingredients on it and I'd had a good healthy meal so I threw caution to the wind. Nothing. It seemed to have a coating, maybe something wax to prevent oxidation so I just let it slowly melt. Finally a hint of something very tasty, but only for a small fraction of a second. Then lanolin and something very slightly, but unpleasantly caustic. My damn sister washed out my mouth with soap!
I thought it was very funny, even as I rinsed the foul taste from my mouth. I didn't think of it much until now, a week or two later. Gold coins and a cute little soap in a darling little basket, nothing nefarious there. Ah, but this is my sister. The same little sweetheart who prepared a special cookie with my brother and Mom as a surprise when I was home on college break or military leave one day. They'd stuffed a cookie full of Copenhagen chewing tobacco. A guy in his twenties, I of course gobbled the cookie. And as I started the next one, "Hmm, that tasted a little strange." They hadn't intended I'd swallow it, but most of the egregious stuff had been baked out, and with a pretty heavy habit my system didn't notice.
The old tobacco cookie makes me just a little suspicious. I still think it is most likely the luring me into soap consumption was unintentional. Still, I'll be very accusatory in a good sibling manner. She and my nephews will love hearing that on the answering machine, which I get 19 out of 20 calls. The rest of the time they spend in the alien probulator lab and fun emporium. (They like Futurama too.)
Another bit of old memories. I was over at my folks place in Port Orchard a few weekends ago. Went to their Kiwanis fund raiser, an auction where I got several things and more than my share of wins from the raffle. I spent the night, and we drove over together for the Intiman on Father's Day, which I talked about several weeks ago. Well, I was getting a bit scruffy, so it was time to shave my face and head again. I've kept a bushy mustache this Summer for fun. I remember my razor, but the little shaving cream can was dead. A slow leak and dried goo inside the cap was all there was.
Dad didn't have any shaving cream, but he did have an old shaving brush and I used that with a bar of soap. Wow. Easier, smoother shaving, without the artificial foam. Not only is it a more comfortable shave you can see better without the shaving version of crappy Cool Whip smeared about. I have no idea where my old brush is, so I got a new one and shaving is much nicer again. I can't use an electric razor, as they tear up my face and scalp, especially the second time around without more than a week between shaves.
First for the generally silly. I got a nice gift basket from my sister's family for Christmas. What makes their baskets nice is they put them together themselves. There was a little woven basket, a antique pewter looking metal(?) with a reed like appearance, not more than a few inches square. An attractive little thing perfect for a dresser or bathroom counter.
It had three chocolate coins and a little white chocolate frog bust. The coins were nice, though in the last year of dark chocolate only I now prefer the dark. I figured it wasn't enough dairy to bother me so it was a worry free test. I wasn't so sure about the white chocolate, but it didn't have ingredients on it and I'd had a good healthy meal so I threw caution to the wind. Nothing. It seemed to have a coating, maybe something wax to prevent oxidation so I just let it slowly melt. Finally a hint of something very tasty, but only for a small fraction of a second. Then lanolin and something very slightly, but unpleasantly caustic. My damn sister washed out my mouth with soap!
I thought it was very funny, even as I rinsed the foul taste from my mouth. I didn't think of it much until now, a week or two later. Gold coins and a cute little soap in a darling little basket, nothing nefarious there. Ah, but this is my sister. The same little sweetheart who prepared a special cookie with my brother and Mom as a surprise when I was home on college break or military leave one day. They'd stuffed a cookie full of Copenhagen chewing tobacco. A guy in his twenties, I of course gobbled the cookie. And as I started the next one, "Hmm, that tasted a little strange." They hadn't intended I'd swallow it, but most of the egregious stuff had been baked out, and with a pretty heavy habit my system didn't notice.
The old tobacco cookie makes me just a little suspicious. I still think it is most likely the luring me into soap consumption was unintentional. Still, I'll be very accusatory in a good sibling manner. She and my nephews will love hearing that on the answering machine, which I get 19 out of 20 calls. The rest of the time they spend in the alien probulator lab and fun emporium. (They like Futurama too.)
Another bit of old memories. I was over at my folks place in Port Orchard a few weekends ago. Went to their Kiwanis fund raiser, an auction where I got several things and more than my share of wins from the raffle. I spent the night, and we drove over together for the Intiman on Father's Day, which I talked about several weeks ago. Well, I was getting a bit scruffy, so it was time to shave my face and head again. I've kept a bushy mustache this Summer for fun. I remember my razor, but the little shaving cream can was dead. A slow leak and dried goo inside the cap was all there was.
Dad didn't have any shaving cream, but he did have an old shaving brush and I used that with a bar of soap. Wow. Easier, smoother shaving, without the artificial foam. Not only is it a more comfortable shave you can see better without the shaving version of crappy Cool Whip smeared about. I have no idea where my old brush is, so I got a new one and shaving is much nicer again. I can't use an electric razor, as they tear up my face and scalp, especially the second time around without more than a week between shaves.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home