All Dressed Up...
Our show for tonight was canceled because there were zero presales. I've debated this with numerous actors the last couple years. Generally, I'd prefer to put up the show. The space is paid for, and an extra run without an audience while a let down is not a waste of time. As you get into a run, you find things you'd like to try. Well, I do anyway. Some things are small enough to go for, but others may not be something you want to try on a paying audience without a lot of thought first.
It seems most other actors would disagree with me. Take a day of rest where you can. Now, some feel that putting on a show for just a couple walk-ups is not fair to the audience because they miss the chemistry of a full show. I solved this once by asking the house manager to comp them to a future show of their choice, since we'd decided to use the show as a pick-up rehearsal. They were delighted, and even watched the rehearsal as well as bringing along quite a few paying friends when they used their comps. Hadn't expected that, so it was a nice bonus. I nearly got stuck buying the tickets as I gave them the comps before the house manager arrived, and when she got there told her I'd cover the two tickets if it was a problem.
The producer and house manager (Ben and Gwen) will still be there tonight to make the comp offer, and while we'll miss the rehearsal opportunity, we'll not alienate any walk up traffic. It allowed me to vote after work instead of before, and I'm looking forward to the night off now. Still, given a choice ahead of time... We have a great chemistry, and I think people would have chosen to skip the show given the choice, so I'm not upset. It is something that should probably be brought up during rehearsals, but maybe board decisions for this type of business is better. My mind is not made up. So, I'll not mourn missing the boards tonight, rather I'll simply enjoy having a respite to help finish off this damn cold.
It seems most other actors would disagree with me. Take a day of rest where you can. Now, some feel that putting on a show for just a couple walk-ups is not fair to the audience because they miss the chemistry of a full show. I solved this once by asking the house manager to comp them to a future show of their choice, since we'd decided to use the show as a pick-up rehearsal. They were delighted, and even watched the rehearsal as well as bringing along quite a few paying friends when they used their comps. Hadn't expected that, so it was a nice bonus. I nearly got stuck buying the tickets as I gave them the comps before the house manager arrived, and when she got there told her I'd cover the two tickets if it was a problem.
The producer and house manager (Ben and Gwen) will still be there tonight to make the comp offer, and while we'll miss the rehearsal opportunity, we'll not alienate any walk up traffic. It allowed me to vote after work instead of before, and I'm looking forward to the night off now. Still, given a choice ahead of time... We have a great chemistry, and I think people would have chosen to skip the show given the choice, so I'm not upset. It is something that should probably be brought up during rehearsals, but maybe board decisions for this type of business is better. My mind is not made up. So, I'll not mourn missing the boards tonight, rather I'll simply enjoy having a respite to help finish off this damn cold.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home