Kicking It Back
Monday, I was finishing up with work, not quite ready to start working around the house, so I called Rachel and as luck would have it she was free for dinner. I got to Redmond Town Center a little early, went to Border's Books, which is my first choice when a local bookstore doesn't have what I need, and they had an Arden edition of The Merchant of Venice, which I'm betting is the version we'll use for next term. I still had extra time and I turned around and walked right back into to the store. They had a Riverside Shakespeare. I now have three copies of the Bard's collected works. Yale, Arden (no notes), and Riverside. I'd still like to get a First Folio, and that is the next one I'll start checking on.
Then I ambled over to Desert Fire, to find they were closed in support of the immigrant protest. Cool! I was glad to see an impact. Expedia should have been brought to a stand still, but I guess their better paid compatriots were too afraid or comfortable to support the protest. That thought makes me vaguely sad. We headed over to Cucina Cucina, and got caught up.
Tuesday I called my sister. I was a little surprised to actually get someone. They are as busy as I, so we don't get to chat very often. The last time we talked was in E-mail, and feeling stressed she quipped, "I feel like I'm living with three of our Dad's." Pop is pretty intense, type A, demanding of attention, with a short fused and voluble temper. It has 'tempered' to the point where the description no longer applies. We still remember both the temper and the dedicated hard work he made in bringing it under control. I've mentioned our mom before, and she is a painful subject as well as presence, and has made every effort to be more so. So, I wrote back, "It could be worse, you could be living with three of our moms."
We were talking of everything under the sun, and I mentioned the joke I wanted to make when we were warming up for Saturday's show. Some people were saying, "My mother died on July 28th." "Oh, mine died September 24th." My dark humor kicked in immediately, and I was biting my tongue because I wanted to join in the wistful sentimental journey with, "Oh, my mother will die on August 3rd." But I decided it was too crass, even for theatre folk. I'll just have to keep it for a script. It is probably a risky thing to say, as I ended contact after her first suicide attempt as I'd promised when she used the threat over the years to manipulate. If she tries again, I'd guess my birthday would be appealing, if August 3rd was close and she thought of it, to teach me a lesson.
Terrie got a kick out of my censored quip, and mentioned the response I'd sent her in E-mail a while back. She'd showed it to my folks (Dad and my stepmom Joyce) who thought it was hysterical. She went on to thank me, because she was feeling so stressed when she got it that she laughed without stopping for five minutes, and the laugh helped her find a little of the perspective she was looking for. I was certainly glad to find my joke made her feel better.
I received a request. More voice mails. Now, I didn't even know they listened, but apparently my silly voice mails are a hit with my nephews. I generally use an accent and imagine fantastical circumstances why they are not answering the phone, saying to call me once the aliens are done probing, Fatherland Security is done re-programming them, or they are done burying their folks in the back yard. They are precocious -- they've loved and understood Monty Python since they were six. I haven't left voice mails lately, and now I find they are in demand. Who would have guessed? Apparently not I.
Someone at work was giving away a Laser Disc player, and a little over thirty discs -- I already had fifteen or twenty discs from another source I picked up for a friend who didn't want them all. I wanted to get rid of them all at once, and when this came up at work I said, "Yes please." I thought it would be fun, and have found I really like the limitation of a Laser Disc. I tend to have full days, and since a movie generally uses at least two sides of a disc, it is reminder to go to bed. If it isn't late yet no problem, push the side B button or put in the next disc. I may be the only one who likes having the movies broken up that way.
Last night I got home at a reasonable hour and chilled. No social engagements. No mowing, simply admired the lawn I mowed Tuesday. I walked around a bit, thought about cleaning up around the house and didn't. Thought about doing some homework, and did nothing more than get the script out of the car. I'd picked up a pack of highlighters on the way home, so I could mark the text for Launcelot Gobbo and The Duke which I'll be doing for my 'principal' casting performances, and for Solanio and Tubal which I'll be doing the other half of the time. That bit of shopping was my biggest event for the evening.
Will I be able to be as slothful tonight? Well, I will be seeing the chiropractor after work, and I'm itchy to get the highlighter going, and I want to do a little analysis on a script reading for a friend on Saturday...
Then I ambled over to Desert Fire, to find they were closed in support of the immigrant protest. Cool! I was glad to see an impact. Expedia should have been brought to a stand still, but I guess their better paid compatriots were too afraid or comfortable to support the protest. That thought makes me vaguely sad. We headed over to Cucina Cucina, and got caught up.
Tuesday I called my sister. I was a little surprised to actually get someone. They are as busy as I, so we don't get to chat very often. The last time we talked was in E-mail, and feeling stressed she quipped, "I feel like I'm living with three of our Dad's." Pop is pretty intense, type A, demanding of attention, with a short fused and voluble temper. It has 'tempered' to the point where the description no longer applies. We still remember both the temper and the dedicated hard work he made in bringing it under control. I've mentioned our mom before, and she is a painful subject as well as presence, and has made every effort to be more so. So, I wrote back, "It could be worse, you could be living with three of our moms."
We were talking of everything under the sun, and I mentioned the joke I wanted to make when we were warming up for Saturday's show. Some people were saying, "My mother died on July 28th." "Oh, mine died September 24th." My dark humor kicked in immediately, and I was biting my tongue because I wanted to join in the wistful sentimental journey with, "Oh, my mother will die on August 3rd." But I decided it was too crass, even for theatre folk. I'll just have to keep it for a script. It is probably a risky thing to say, as I ended contact after her first suicide attempt as I'd promised when she used the threat over the years to manipulate. If she tries again, I'd guess my birthday would be appealing, if August 3rd was close and she thought of it, to teach me a lesson.
Terrie got a kick out of my censored quip, and mentioned the response I'd sent her in E-mail a while back. She'd showed it to my folks (Dad and my stepmom Joyce) who thought it was hysterical. She went on to thank me, because she was feeling so stressed when she got it that she laughed without stopping for five minutes, and the laugh helped her find a little of the perspective she was looking for. I was certainly glad to find my joke made her feel better.
I received a request. More voice mails. Now, I didn't even know they listened, but apparently my silly voice mails are a hit with my nephews. I generally use an accent and imagine fantastical circumstances why they are not answering the phone, saying to call me once the aliens are done probing, Fatherland Security is done re-programming them, or they are done burying their folks in the back yard. They are precocious -- they've loved and understood Monty Python since they were six. I haven't left voice mails lately, and now I find they are in demand. Who would have guessed? Apparently not I.
Someone at work was giving away a Laser Disc player, and a little over thirty discs -- I already had fifteen or twenty discs from another source I picked up for a friend who didn't want them all. I wanted to get rid of them all at once, and when this came up at work I said, "Yes please." I thought it would be fun, and have found I really like the limitation of a Laser Disc. I tend to have full days, and since a movie generally uses at least two sides of a disc, it is reminder to go to bed. If it isn't late yet no problem, push the side B button or put in the next disc. I may be the only one who likes having the movies broken up that way.
Last night I got home at a reasonable hour and chilled. No social engagements. No mowing, simply admired the lawn I mowed Tuesday. I walked around a bit, thought about cleaning up around the house and didn't. Thought about doing some homework, and did nothing more than get the script out of the car. I'd picked up a pack of highlighters on the way home, so I could mark the text for Launcelot Gobbo and The Duke which I'll be doing for my 'principal' casting performances, and for Solanio and Tubal which I'll be doing the other half of the time. That bit of shopping was my biggest event for the evening.
Will I be able to be as slothful tonight? Well, I will be seeing the chiropractor after work, and I'm itchy to get the highlighter going, and I want to do a little analysis on a script reading for a friend on Saturday...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home